Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Marchesini's Paint job (/showthread.php?t=1700)

Matthew Smith 14-Jul-2003 17:42

Marchesini\'s Paint job

Does anyone know how much it costs to get a pair of Magnesium Marchesini wheels resprayed?
Where and who does the best job?
Bored with the gold look.

nelly 14-Jul-2003 18:40

The "proper" magnesiums need some special care when painting to avoid the magnesium oxidising when it's exposed to the air.
The best I've heard of for refurbing mag wheels is Dymag. Not cheap though, about £200 the pair!! I don't think they discriminate against other manufacturers wheels...............
You could try the likes of Dream Machine etc. but it's worth making sure they are going to treat them correctly and use the "special" primers etc. that are required

scoot 14-Jul-2003 18:52

try jhp he will be able to help you
:sing:

ShakMan 15-Jul-2003 00:00

Do any of these places do a chrome look on the wheels?

I saw a black duke with shiny chrome wheels near the Kings road last week ... looked awesome, especially with the sun reflecting off the wheels. Must be biatch to keep em clean though.

Felix 15-Jul-2003 04:39

Matthew, did exactly the same last year. Can't recommend having them redone by Marchesini. Do a search on the old board. I posted my experience.

ziggi 15-Jul-2003 11:20

The chrome look you're mentioning is probably polishing. I had my ally marchesini wheels wet sprayed gold in the centre and polished rims. Cost £135 per wheel + VAT + tyre fitting + balancing.

See: My Bike Site for pics.

Matthew Smith 15-Jul-2003 17:56

Thanx for the reply's. Iv'e heard the paint needs some kind of treatment or additive to make it work.

nelly 15-Jul-2003 18:50

Yep. If the wheels are "proper" magnesium ones, then once they have been stripped they need some sort of aerospace primer applied to them before they touch the air.

Felix 18-Jul-2003 11:14

The treatment for bare magnesium required before it gets painted or powdered is called a chromate conversion coating. There not many places that do this. If you don't you risk corrosion of the magnesium. The worst is that you don't see the corrosion as it occurs beneath the skin. I would strongly recommend to have it done properly. Many people get their magnesium wheels X-rayed periodically for corrosion and cracks. Failures of wheels are not considered to a fun experience.

nelly 18-Jul-2003 13:33

That's the stuff! I believe the service that Dymag offer includes a x-ray inspection of the wheels included in the price?