Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Benefit of a vented clutch cover? (/showthread.php?t=3008)

ben998 05-Sep-2003 09:45

Benefit of a vented clutch cover?

Is there any benefit of fitting a vented clutch cover for road riding.?
I imagine that fitting a vented cover aids clutch cooling, and might help get rid some clutch dust, but is there any benefit apart from that?
This might be a bit of a daft question - but what happens if the clutch plates get wet ?

Thanks,
Ben

Dude 05-Sep-2003 09:53

I reckon the main benifit is the reduction of dust build up, and of course, they look a lot better.

Steel clutch plates will rust if they get wet and so will the springs. Be carefull when washing so you dont direct the hose into the clutch.

You could get alu plates, stainless steel springs and coloured pressure plate.

Be aware that the clutch 'rattle' is a lot more noticable, so be prepared for 'is it supposed to sound like that?' everytime you stop.

Nigel C 07-Sep-2003 20:05

pulling up behind a queue of cars and pulling the clutch lever in and watching all the drivers heads when they try and work out where the noise is coming from :D
drawbacks i think! rode down the alley to the garage next doors kids playing outside thier garage pulled in the clutch again ! little girl drops everything and screams and the boys stands and says "cool!" .

just goes to show not all the girls are impressed by ducatis
:o

Rattler 07-Sep-2003 20:24

Just make sure you don\'t take it on the track.....

....if you should be unfortunate to crash, it'll last about 3 nanoseconds before your clutch takes the hit!!!

Tim:frog::frog::frog::frog::frog::frog::frog:

RickyX 09-Sep-2003 12:56

Cheapskate option (i.e. what I have done): put a couple of washers between the cover and the crankcase. This will create a gap of approx 3-4mm all around which ventilates the clutch and allows the cak to escape (and some noise!).
Job done!

rockhopper 09-Sep-2003 13:33

Its amazing how much dust comes out without any mods!

scooter996 10-Sep-2003 19:52

I bought the vented style but soon put my OEM back on. Couldnt stand the rattle rattle. Takes away from the booming exhaust. I took the gassket out and cut off the section on top and bottom. In other words if you made a cut at 12 oclock and 6 oclock then throw the right section out. That way the rattling is behind the fairing so its muffled alittle bit and it shoots the dust forward. Leave the stock cover on and just cut off the front of the gasket and reinstall it. I love it

scooter996 10-Sep-2003 19:55

o yeah my dealer told me that he has neveer replaced a ducati clutch plates due to excessive heat built up due to a solid cover clutch cover versus a vented one.

rcgbob44 10-Sep-2003 22:07

Just fiktted this to mine today!