Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Trackdays & Race Schools (/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   tyre warmers, your experiance/advice pls (/showthread.php?t=30968)

Bungi 22-May-2006 14:50

tyre warmers, your experiance/advice pls

so im thinking of the benefits of tyre warmers and was looking at ebay diamond tyre warmers item no 8068266771,

q1 are tyre warmers worthwhile on trackdays what with all the waiting in pit lane b4 u get on track?

q2 are the diamond ones any good? can anyone vouch for them? any others better VFM? suggestions!

q3 do i need sometype of exhaust guard?

thanks peeps

JPM 22-May-2006 15:21

1. Yes because it's all about heat cycles so if you come in after a session you can keep heating the tyre, and I was once told that you're getting heat in the tyre and also into the rim which will hold the heat a lot longer.

2. For the money they're great value for money, but they are not the best I think they use 5 wires to heat the tyres whereas something like HWW have either 7 or 8 wires and a better spread of heat, but they do have great aftercare service, I know a few people who use them and one or two have had issues which they have resolved without any hassle.

3. We've recently found out that a 190 rear does cause issues as the extra width pushes the warmer onto the pipes so some form of guard would be adviseable.

The main benefit for me personally is a mental thing and being able to start cracking on earlier in the session than worrying about warming your tyres which equates to more useful track time over the day

weeksy2 22-May-2006 15:24

pretty much everything he said.

only downsides are not being able to use them at Mallory/Cadwell/Anglesea

nathanhu 22-May-2006 15:36

i use KLS pro
i found that i didnt suffer from cold shear any more and tyres lasted longer, also it was easyer to read the tyres as it was only the suspension causing them to rip up.
Kls use a carbon heating element which stops localised heat or hot/cold spots, but more importantly they have a 2 stage heating selector so you can leave them on all day at 60 Deg and have no damage to the tyre, as you shouldnt leave them at 80 Deg all day....

http://www.kls.de/index-eng.htm

Gbyte666 22-May-2006 16:12

I used my set of Diamond tyre warmers for the first time 2 weeks ago at Silverstone, and fook me they are awsome. Heat gets into the tryes really quick. Fist lap out felt like Id done the 3 lap warm your tyres and gave me so much more confidence. ( ps still treat the first couple as warm your tyres if your my level )

Get them and use them, worth the money if your going to do a few track days. I guess Weeks means you cant use them at Cadwell as no electric... hmmm bummer I really want to use them at the DSC day but cant justify a Genny. I'll just tap into Skids...

:lol::lol:

Craig

Harv748 22-May-2006 16:14

...and from memory diasec do some specificaly for the 9** range, with a protective/reflective section on them to avoid melting on the pipes. A little more expensive (i.e about £15) than their 'standard' ones but worth it I think in the long run.

Ray 22-May-2006 16:45

Diasec were doing 4 sets for the price of 3 recently. Might be worth organising a "group buy".

Ray.

Harv748 22-May-2006 16:52

Quote:

Originally posted by Ray
Diasec were doing 4 sets for the price of 3 recently. Might be worth organising a "group buy".

Ray.

I tried to organize this sometime ago with a group of other DSC members...had about 15 interested if I remember but the guy at Diasec just wasn't interested in any kind of discount offer for a group buy...may be worth another try now then????

Bungi 22-May-2006 18:49

so diasec and HW seem worth finding out a bit more about any one have any contact details of where they are available or prices?

Bungi 22-May-2006 18:50

thanks john i think youve convinced me