Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Sport Touring: ST4 / ST3 / ST2 (/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Battery Life Expectancy (/showthread.php?t=24332)

Athelstan 22-Nov-2005 08:15

Battery Life Expectancy

ST4s Battery - anyone have any comments re what is the "normal" life for its original battery? Mine will be 5yrs old next spring and I get the feeling that it is not retaining a charge as well as it used to. It is on a trickle charge when in hibernation during our Swiss winters (Nov-March). Feedback welcomed.

[Edited on 22-11-2005 by Athelstan]

ChrisBushell 22-Nov-2005 09:00

The original battery on my ST4 lasted for 4 years, using a monthly trickle charge over the winter to keep it topped up.

It finally gave up the ghost when it wouldn't maintain voltage when running, I assume a suplhated up cell and the bike went into limp home mode.

The replacement was a genuine FIAM one and that lasted 10 months! That one was kept topped up with an Optimate as well. Replaced free of charge by dealer.

Derek 23-Nov-2005 12:59

When I had the 900SS the original battery got a bit tired at 8 years and I replaced it but that was probably a bit exceptional. About 5 years is probably about the average life for a battery.

BDG 23-Nov-2005 14:04

I've had some batteries that i know have been 4 or 5 years old, yet another original (Yuasa) that gave up the ghost after less than 2 years.