Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Belts on a 998S (/showthread.php?t=85757)

ChrisBushell 05-Mar-2012 15:36

Belts on a 998S

Guys inspired by AntonyE's article about changing belts, I have downloaded the checking software, got a microphone working off the lap top and thought I would have a go at checking the current tension on the bike - before moving up to actualy changing and tensioning them.

The one bit of information that I am missing though is what sort of frequency should we be looking for?

chrisw 05-Mar-2012 15:54

110 Hz (+/- 5Hz)

ChrisBushell 05-Mar-2012 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisw
110 Hz (+/- 5Hz)

Thank you for that -will try on Saturday!

khu996 05-Mar-2012 18:12

Quote:

110 Hz (+/- 5Hz)

Isn't that for new belts??

I might be wrong, but I think used belts are around 80Hz.

skidlids 05-Mar-2012 18:26

your thinking of the minimum allowed, anything around 70 to 80 Hz is apparently acceptable, anything less and they NEED to be retensioned
Normal operational tension is 110/110 (± 5) so thats what should be set new or used

Shazaam! 05-Mar-2012 18:33

A Ducati bulletin specifies that recommended tension for installing fresh out of the box new belts and the acceptable range of deviation (110 Hz +/-5Hz). It also states that if you are going to reinstall a set of used belts they should be adjusted to 90-100 Hz (+/- 5Hz). It further implies that used belts can be left alone if they measure above 70Hz.

What Ducati is saying is to first set the tension of a new belt to spec, expect them to lose a slight amount of tension after some initial miles, and then verify at any later time that this tension is above the minimum requirement. In other words, you should not re-adjust the tension to the new belt spec max after run-in.

Otherwise the belt will be in danger of snapping after a few re-tensionings.

chrisw 05-Mar-2012 19:06

Thanks. Created a crib sheet with the info to put with all my manuals.

Manga 05-Mar-2012 20:10

Any chance you can put a link to the original post?

Something else to stress myself about I suppose.

When I bought the bike, the workshop told me the belts wont need retensioning, just changing every 2 years or so.

Cobbett 05-Mar-2012 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manga
When I bought the bike, the workshop told me the belts wont need retensioning, just changing every 2 years or so.

2 years is indeed the change interval (or 12k miles, whichever is sooner). But the tension should be checked and adjusted if necessary at the intervening annual service.

skidlids 05-Mar-2012 22:25

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Thanks. Created a crib sheet with the info to put with all my manuals.

This is what I use Chris, it came from Gates Spring last year so about a year after the Bulletin from Ducati North America, I often wonder if they are just trying to protect themselves from idiots. As that Bulletin says all Ducati belts are now tensioned to 110/110 (± 5) be they 4-Valve or 2-Valve and no difference between front and back belts on any of the aircooleds