Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Rear Wheel Spindal Recall (/showthread.php?t=202)

Mackster 16-May-2003 15:48

Rear Wheel Spindal Recall

Hi Guys,

Having had my bike now for 3 weeks I have seen in the site's technical page the the early 748's have a recall notice on them re rear wheel spindal. How do I check if mine is effected and how do I go about getting it fixed ?

Thanks

Paul

nelly 16-May-2003 16:00

Easiest way is to contact Ducati UK with your chassis number.
They should be able to tell you if it's affected, if it's been repaired and if required, where to take it to get it fixed.

Nigel C 16-May-2003 18:55

Mines an import i bought it from and have it serviced by dealer who is not an official dealer will D UK have mine on its records? or is it just down to the type of serial number on the bike??

nelly 16-May-2003 21:31

Don't know Nigel. Did you ever register it with Ducati UK?
If not, they should still be able to tell you from the chassis number I'd have thought

Shazaam! 19-May-2003 23:06

Here's the description of the U.S. safety recall dated March 10, 2000.

Models: Ducati 916
Years: 1994-1998
Number Involved: 750
Description of Defect: Internal cracks may be present on the rear wheel spindle.
Consequence of Defect: This condition can cause the spindle to fail, causing a loss of control of the motorcycle and increasing the risk of a crash.
Corrective Action: Dealers will inspect the rear wheel spindle and replace it if necessary.

NickH 20-May-2003 08:00

My '97 748 is in at CMW in Chichester for this recall. I had a letter from Ducati UK in March, but was away on the day the engineer was at CMW in April.

I would have thought mine would have been checked by now, but I'm happy to have it checked now.

NickH 21-May-2003 13:43

Had mine checked today, clean bill of health. The Ducati UK engineer told me that the recall is only for bikes up to & including 1999 model year.

However, if you're unsure check yourself with Ducati UK.

He told me that the letter I got was the fourth one sent out to owners (but the first one I received) so the first three letters for my bike have been ignored!