Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Mono Bip seat swap (/showthread.php?t=80499)

Wes 30-Aug-2009 19:45

Mono Bip seat swap

Hi guys I'm just looking for a little advice regarding a seat swap.

I have just bought a 749 (2003) with a genuine mono seat (previously a BiP)

but want a BiP unit. Does this just mean swapping the seat unit or do I also need a subframe?

Cheers,

Wes

Ghost 30-Aug-2009 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes
Hi guys I'm just looking for a little advice regarding a seat swap.

I have just bought a 749 (2003) with a genuine mono seat (previously a BiP)

but want a BiP unit. Does this just mean swapping the seat unit or do I also need a subframe?

Cheers,

Wes

If the rear foot rest positions are still there it will be a bip subframe.

Wes 30-Aug-2009 20:43

Cheers Phil,

I shall see tomorrow

Wes 30-Aug-2009 20:48

Pic

1 Attachment(s)
From this Pic I'm guessing I might need a subframe too?

Ghost 30-Aug-2009 21:06

Mmm I think you are right Wes, here is a side pic of mine and you can clearly see the peg locations.

But there could be the possibility of adding the brackets yourself. If the mono frame is strong enough to cope with a pillion. It would need looking at side by side to determine.

deej 30-Aug-2009 21:10

can a mono seat be fitted to a bip subframe without to much trouble then ??

Wes 30-Aug-2009 22:08

Sounds like a mono will go on a BiP no problem but maybe not the other way.

Will give you a call in the week anyway Phil.

Cheers

Ghost 30-Aug-2009 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by deej
can a mono seat be fitted to a bip subframe without to much trouble then ??

Mine went straight on. Wes we could possibly swap subframes, as mine will never go back to a bip. Call me to discuss.

KeefyB 30-Aug-2009 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost
But there could be the possibility of adding the brackets yourself. If the mono frame is strong enough to cope with a pillion.

Noooo!
The alloy mono subframe is very lightweight and made out of Swiss cheese.There have been loads of them snapping as mono's,so no way will it cope with a passenger weight.
The genuine mono seat unit will only fit the mono subframe.The bip subframe is a lot higher at the back.I have seen a few where the owner has sawn the rear subframe loop off but the mono seat still does'nt sit right.
Nah,swap subframes,its a dead easy swap and should'nt take any more than an hour with a tea break.
For bip owners wanting the mono look there are alternatives,... like a MotoGP inspired seat unit that bolts straight on,....or a clip on cover that goes in place of the pillion pad.

Ghost 31-Aug-2009 00:14

This was my DP seat unit and went straight onto my bip frame with no probs. I wasn't aware that the monos were all ally subframes. :eek: