Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Race (/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Chimay - best kept secret or is it only me? (/showthread.php?t=17788)

the old man 20-May-2005 23:17

Chimay - best kept secret or is it only me?

Spent last weekend (13th - 16th) in southern Belgium at the Chimay road races - proper road races on closed off public roads. Until two months ago i'd never heard of them; are they a secret or is it just me?

They run a series of classic car and bike races throghout the year plus the bike meeting I attended. Practice / qualifying on Saturday and racing all day Sunday. It's a 5 Km public road course, loads of classes includig GP125 & 250, Sidecars and a three hour mini endurance race. It cost €15 for a weekends access to the paddock and the who circuit is accessable on foot - many places have no armoco at all; just fresh air between you and screaming race bikes!!

In the evening the town centre is 10 minutes walk away; its other claim to fame is Chimay beer, 7%, 8% or 9% alcohol. Oh, and as many frites and mayo as you can eat. A brilliant weekend.

domski 21-May-2005 00:02

Sounds like top place Ian :)

I think there used to be a similar thing at Mettet, but don't ask me where that is! It's in Europe somewhere.

:D

Monty 21-May-2005 00:59

Quote:

Originally posted by domskidue
Sounds like top place Ian :)

I think there used to be a similar thing at Mettet, but don't ask me where that is! It's in Europe somewhere.

:D

Walloon region of Belgium-50 miles south of Brussels.

John

domski 21-May-2005 01:01

Ahh, I know that Chimay & Mettet were bandied around in the same sentence.

Sound like a good excuse for a DD ambush :lol:

Mark 21-May-2005 01:08

Is this a port town? I remember someone telling me about this (i think!!) a couple years ago.

the old man 21-May-2005 13:24

Quote:

Originally posted by Flanks
Is this a port town? I remember someone telling me about this (i think!!) a couple years ago.

Chimay is inland, about 160 miles from Calais - follow the French / Belgium border east for about 130 miles then turn north. Chimay is about 20 miles accross the border in Belgium. It's also famous for its cheese ..... apparently!

Friend of a friend rode a GP250 this year (and got a third). Plan is to return in 2006 so I will advertise dates closer to the time incase anyone is interested.

AND, if anyone out there fancies running a team in a mini 3 hour endurance (Supersport & Probike classes) I will gladly offer my riding skills for free!!

domski 21-May-2005 13:31

Quote:

Originally posted by the old man
Quote:

Originally posted by Flanks

Chimay is inland, about 160 miles from Calais - follow the French / Belgium border east for about 130 miles then turn north. Chimay is about 20 miles accross the border in Belgium. It's also famous for its cheese ..... apparently!

Friend of a friend rode a GP250 this year (and got a third). Plan is to return in 2006 so I will advertise dates closer to the time incase anyone is interested.

AND, if anyone out there fancies running a team in a mini 3 hour endurance (Supersport & Probike classes) I will gladly offer my riding skills for free!!

I'd defo be interested Ian - Money permitting :D