Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Tw*t of the week? (/showthread.php?t=7018)

paynep 27-Apr-2004 17:55

Tw*t of the week?

They do say that 90% of all accidents happen within 1/4 of home.......

I took the 888 up to Croft (300 miles) for its first trackday with its 916 motor, nice shiny single seat (that's another story in itself), hi-level microns etc etc.

Bike went great,warped a disc and shredded the rear supercorsa but brought bike all the way home safely on the trailer........and dropped it off of the trailer in the driveway.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Moral of the story is: keep the bike 1/2 mile from home and everything will be ok!

Triple Nine 27-Apr-2004 21:35

Sorry to hear that Paul, hope there's not too much damage.:(

Desmondo 27-Apr-2004 22:44

Ooops, thought this was another thread about vman.

Sorry to hear about that Paul. These things always happen when you least expect them to.

Queen_gravelpants 27-Apr-2004 22:47

Oh mate sorry to hear that, hope you didnt do too much damage?

How did you get on with fitting the single seat then?

Eddieb 29-Apr-2004 02:08

Hey Paynep

How easy/hard was putting th e916 motor into the 888? Have you done a write up on it anywhere?

paynep 29-Apr-2004 13:30

Hi Celeste,

fitting the seat was easy as I was using a race foam pad rather than the original seat, however it was chafing on the rear pillion grabhandle mountings. Probably wouldnt be a problem if using the original seat as you won't actually be sitting on the tailpiece like I was. As I have a spare strada subframe I will cut off the grabhandle brackets to solve the problem.
I will try to do a set of pics on this project....

Eddie,

I used a 916 crank and pistons in the 888 crankcases so it was a piece of cake. (The heads and barrels are identical to a 916 bip, but you DO need the 916 pistons as crown-gudgeon pin height is different to the 888).
Lightened flywheel, adjustable cam pulleys, change of FIM chip and voila, Cadwell here we come!

Cheers

Paul

Queen_gravelpants 29-Apr-2004 15:59

Think I can put my hand up to being **** of the week #2!

Working on my new monster today, fitting high level cans I had to undo the footrest bolts on both sides as you have to fit spacers.

What I didn't realise and no one told me was one of the LHS footrest bolts also secures the sidestand mechanism in place so as I undid the last bolt the sidestand slipped forward and bike landed on top of me!

As I was sitting on the floor at the time I cushioned the blow. With no one around to help me I somehow found some super human strength to lift the bike off me I then discovered I had snapped the footrest.

I've only had the bike 6 days! DOH!

Rob B 29-Apr-2004 17:14

Sorry to hear about the disasters, makes me a little happier about mine dropping off the bike table though.
We all seem to have some sort of dramas.

Ho Hum.

:frog:

mike916 30-Apr-2004 13:47

Disasters

Hows this for one:
One night last year I came home and parked my 916 up in the garage on the prop stand.

I came to look at the bike in the morning only to find it on the floor with a broken nose fairing caused by a knackererd mirror stay rotating when the mirror hit the floor and stressing the fairing:(

After what I thought was a reasonable attempt at plastic welding the fairing it broke again about a week later.

This ended up with me having to buy a new nose fairing - one way to get rid of a few stone chips though!!

The original cause of this disaster - a slow puncture on the back tyre - the bike has been on its paddock stand every night since then:sing:

Robbie 01-May-2004 16:36

Wheeling my newly rebuilt 748 off the bike bench. Didn't notice prop stand down. It dug in as the back wheel came off the ramp & momentum propelled the bike away from me over the "high side" until it was lying virtually upside down on it's RHS.
Escaped with scuffed paint & v'sore arms from snatching it back onto it's wheels in a panic.:o