Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Race (/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Racing tachos? (/showthread.php?t=4943)

paynep 16-Jan-2004 21:13

Racing tachos?

Thought i'd post here to get an informed answer......
Can you guys recommend a tacho to use on my 888 for track/race use as i don't want to use the original cable-driven one?
I was thinking of a Scitsu unit......
Cheers, Paul

PS Anyone on the ACU farce on 26 Jan?

Felix 16-Jan-2004 21:38

Scitsu certainly is widely used and quality stuff. Other alternatives are from SPA, and they do one with built-in shift lights. Of course, there is always the one of the original 888 race bikes, Ducati P/N 40210041A, connects straight to the ignition coil.

skidlids 16-Jan-2004 21:58

I have had a Scitsu on my 916 Strada race bike and its been faultless, just got to remember to charge it, they also offer a good repair service , also used a Stack unit with shift light and tell tale, the proper DP race one is also a good one just a bit costly. Hope to get my Techtronics dash fitted this year and see what its like having a unit without a needle.

WeeJohnyB 17-Jan-2004 20:26

Yeh, I know people who use the Scitsu and they do a good job. Need to be charged up which can be a pain with so many other things to do on race day. Personally I don't use a tacho at all on my race CB500, I just go by the engine revs and the feel of it. Not sure if I ever miss out on being in the absolute sweet spot of the range, but when I've ridden other race CB5's it's just been a distraction to me. In saying that, I do use it a on Monty's TZ250, (I don't really, I just have to say that so Monty believes me when I say I've not been over-revving it:lol:)

WeeJohnyB:saint:

KeefyB 18-Jan-2004 07:02

My mate had an Elliot rev counter on his Superlight.It looked the billy bollox with its white dial and red shift light.
He got his from Baines Racing,although I think Demon Tweeks sell them as well.

Rob B 18-Jan-2004 09:25

Paul,

I have used the Scitsu and the SPA. They are both made by the same bunch in Sheffield. If you are fussed about weight it has to be the Scitsu (I may have a stuffed one in the garage somewhere - needs a reapair but may have binned it already - I'll try to check later)

My choice would be the SPA stepper motor job. Lots of functions, if you need them, oil, water temp/pressure recording for max min and programable alarms. Personally, I don't like shift lights, my eyes are too busy when I race. I connect the shift light output to a ear piece and it beeps when I get to the pre-determined point. The ears are not doing much while your eyes should be real busy. Found it works a treat. I am making a couple for someone in the next few weeks so shout if you need one. They work out at about £15.

Rgds,

Rob

paynep 20-Jan-2004 13:16

Cheers guys.

Off to do a bit of surfing & shopping now....

Paul