Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Fitting a 916 tank (/showthread.php?t=216158)

bally71 12-Jun-2013 08:38

Fitting a 916 tank

Anyone Give me any helpful tips, do's and don'ts, or remember if there's an old thread on "how to"

done a quick search but didn't find anything specific

I know I've got to make a little frame to fix it the back to but not sure how the front fixes

pumps?? .. not sure if I'll get the pump with it or not

Cheers guys

Chaz 12-Jun-2013 08:55

It was Tim pritchard that fitted a 916 tank, apart from the front & rear fittings I think the main problem is the air box! You have to beat the feck out of the tank& cut the air box, best way would be to loose the air box altogether.

skidlids 12-Jun-2013 09:38

If your planning on doing it to your dd bike start by changing the frame. I looked at doing it to my ss in 2004 even had a couple of Mito tanks to try but they just don't suit a ss

Cranker V2 12-Jun-2013 10:31

On mine I have welded in a cross brace with a vertical tab (with a hole in it) in centre that allows the mounting lug of the 916 tank to insert into. The rear mount is via a bolt secured through the SS tank mount frame plate. No airbox, 748 inlet trumpets fitted.

bally71 12-Jun-2013 14:42

Cheers guys

Airbox will be gone

Cranker .. have you got any pics?

I thought a couple of guys had done this?? .. I know the monster frame is a bit lower but what's the prob .. does it clash with the frame?

I've bought 1 (make that 2) now .. so it's going to fit!!!!!! :lol:

chris.p 12-Jun-2013 15:25

It would be wise to extend the battery leads etc and put the battery under the seat unit.

Chris:burn:

bally71 13-Jun-2013 07:05

i've got to make a small frame for the tank and seat unit anyway .. so could double it up as a battery box i guess

bradders 13-Jun-2013 16:07

Monster or SS chassis? Phil's monster has the 916 tank and without airbox etc and if you can fabricate the brackets to hold it, when I looked at doing it, it wasnt that hard (in theory)

bally71 13-Jun-2013 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradders
Monster or SS chassis? Phil's monster has the 916 tank and without airbox etc and if you can fabricate the brackets to hold it, when I looked at doing it, it wasnt that hard (in theory)

It's an SS

mat2hew 13-Jun-2013 18:40

ss has the pressure regulator on the carbs and the 916 has it in the tank, You only need 1, as for fitting it, It can't be that hard can it? I fitted one on my monster (without an airbox) but not seen one on a ss which is strange 'coz loads of people don't like the ss tank. I quite like the tank on my new ss...