Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Monsters (/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Dead Relay?????? (/showthread.php?t=19715)

psychlist 14-Jul-2005 22:01

Dead Relay??????

Rejetted Monica today (only took me 4 hours but I'm chuffed I did it myself :smug: ) but when I put everything back together it wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn over on the button. Whenever I turn the key to "on" the main relay buzzes. Is it just a dead relay or have I killed my race bike????? :(

phil_h 14-Jul-2005 23:04

Just to start the thinking process ...
when you turn it on normally, the fuel pump buzzes as it runs (?) ... a poor battery connection could produce low voltage - check every bit of the earth connections (if you have a voltmeter it helps enormously)

if you try the starter button do you get anything ?

and I was then going to ask you about the lights, but quickly decided not to mention them :)

psychlist 15-Jul-2005 02:05

When I turn it on the warning lights come on and the relay buzzes loudly, when I thumb the starter it changes tone but nothing else happens :(

skidlids 15-Jul-2005 02:45

Paul by the relay do you mean the starter solinoid, if so they run close to the cylinder head and you may find onr of the leads is arcing out.

psychlist 15-Jul-2005 19:03

Under the seat next to the fuse box thers 2 relays and a connector for the sidestand switch (which I've got shorted out so I don't have to worry about that). I've replaced the smaller of the two, it's a 12v 40A 5 pin relay. It was buzzing when I turned the ignition on, now, after replacing it, when I turn the ignition on everything seems tickety-boo until I press the starter. Then get no response from the starter! If I press the kill switch the warning lights dim! I've tried charging the battery in case it had gone flat but that hasn't helped! Do you think it may be the leads to the starter? I must have disturbed something when I took the airbox off and rejetted the carbs but I'm lost as to what?

:puzzled: :(

phil_h 15-Jul-2005 19:12

psychlist
if you have a trailer/van and want to bring it over so we can go through all the wiring etc you are very welcome.

give me a call on 01798 831647 if you need more help

phil

psychlist 15-Jul-2005 19:28

Thanks very much for the offer Phil but I'd have to hire a van to get there.
I'm sure I'll get it sorted :o , how long have I got til cadwell trackday?!

bradders 15-Jul-2005 19:37

not long.....

phil_h 15-Jul-2005 19:38

well then, if there is no super-urgent-rush, I can pack a little bag of useful electrical diagnostic tools (multimeter and terminal screwdriver :) ) and come over if you like.

(I don't know, the things we'll do to get a peek at someone else's race bike)

psychlist 15-Jul-2005 22:53

Thanks Phil

You have a U2U sir :eureka: