Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   mono subframes ? made of cheese (/showthread.php?t=34789)

Wave 13-Aug-2006 16:18

mono subframes ? made of cheese

ok i know these are made of ally, and are not meant for the weight of a pillion.
as you might have read i went touring in scotland, i got a pillion seat unit and just bodged it onto the mono subframe just to carry soft panniers.
i had about 10-15kgs in the panniers and got a bit of airbourne action in scotland.
cleaning the bike today the subframe has completly snapped both sides towards the rear :| and looking at the thickness of the metal it looks like its not meant to carry any weight at all.

anyone know where i can pick up another Mono subframe ?

Loz 13-Aug-2006 16:22

I remember when Bike magazine first road-tested the 999 monoposto. They snapped the frame too, without the luggage. If I needed any further persuasion to get a Bip, there it was!

Carbon749 13-Aug-2006 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wave

anyone know where i can pick up another Mono subframe ?

Cheaper to have it braced and repaired.

Wave 13-Aug-2006 17:56

could you point me in the right direction ?
i could take some pictures of the damage if that would help

Carbon749 13-Aug-2006 18:06

Quote:

could you point me in the right direction ?
i could take some pictures of the damage if that would help

Where in the world are you ? KNow a few good places in the Derby area, Spondon Engineering are good guys for ally work.

Wave 13-Aug-2006 18:25

Bromley, south London

andyb 13-Aug-2006 19:15

I think it was colin chapman who spoke about car parts saying if they didnt last a race, they were too weak, and if they lasted longer they were too heavy/strong.

its a mono seat frame, designed as such.........extra weight over the rear of the frame (inc the leverage effect from the mounting points) it wasnt designed for!

iang 13-Aug-2006 19:26

Surely the subframe should still take the weight of a pannier bag, I mean I am less than 11st but I know others that are up to 16st so this is a vast difference in weight.

Wave 13-Aug-2006 19:49

i thought that, but looking at the thickness of the metal, i wouldnt even trust it to hold its own weight. let alone the exhaust and 10kg panniers, granted getting the bike airbourne isnt a good idea, but please its less than a mm thick.

Wave 13-Aug-2006 20:01

heres a pic
its the same the other side too

posiden 13-Aug-2006 22:27

mono sub assembly

Wave, looks like where its broken is caused by the weight of the exhaust as your weight is applied to the sub frame at the other side of that weld. The exhaust is bolted onto the subframe with one very big bolt at the back and two smaller bolts closer to your bum.
It was a common fault on 03/04 bikes that the alloy around the big bolt would snap at the weld to the subframe.My mate nearly crashed his 03 749S when the exhaust fell onto his rear tyre at high speed. Ducati did a superb repair under warranty.
How olds the bike can you get it sorted under warranty?
If your getting it welded I would get some extra strengthening added as some alloys become soft as cheese when theyve been welded up.

Gizmo 13-Aug-2006 22:44

As Pete points out the seat load is supported in front of the crack so its weight from behind, adding a set of panniers at 10 - 20 kg would load it quite a lot. From the ones i've seen its not just load related, its a flexed stress area and it looks like crack comes from the end of the weld, thats a fairly common one on mountain bike frames so we try and avoid welds ending like that. alloy tubing is thin, 1.2mm - 2mm being the norm.

Wave 16-Aug-2006 17:03

Okay basically i wrote a big letter to ducati saying even though my bike is out of warrenty its unacceptable for the subframe to snap on a 2 year old bike etc etc

They got intouch with ProTwins in godstone who currently have the subframe, they told me today the subframe cannot be fixed and ducati are going to pay for a new one.

Good news

mileypau 09-Jul-2012 21:57

Quote:

Okay basically i wrote a big letter to ducati saying even though my bike is out of warrenty its unacceptable for the subframe to snap on a 2 year old bike etc etc

They got intouch with ProTwins in godstone who currently have the subframe, they told me today the subframe cannot be fixed and ducati are going to pay for a new one.

Good news

Old thread...old problem....I got it.

2005 sub frame snapped both sides - never had panniers or extra load. Snapped behind where I sit. Noticed at track day today as exhaust moving around.Other 999s 749r owners put me in rigth direction.....let's see what Ducati say when I get in touch. 7 yr old bike !!

gsxr7111000 10-Jul-2012 17:40

I snapped 2 in the last 3 years.
Ducati wont do anything anymore.

I had 4 new ones in stock, But sold them to a ducati breaker, If you want his number PM me.

Its the exhuast that splits them. I machined some larger rubber mounts for the sub frame, Problem sorted

barneychubble 08-Mar-2013 13:44

I had exactly the same issue, managed to get ducati to change it out of good will........:D

mileypau 03-Apr-2013 13:34

Sub frames

Quote:

Originally Posted by barneychubble
I had exactly the same issue, managed to get ducati to change it out of good will........:D

Was that recently?

I didnt get any joy....bought one from the USA. Better design of bracing. Also set up the exhaust so it isnt 'hanging' off the frame. So far no more breaks. But i do have the bits of the old one...wouldnt mind getting it replaced as back up.

Who / where did you write to?

ta