Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   996 damaged gearbox opinions please? (/showthread.php?t=100889)

dunlop0_1 27-Apr-2012 16:37

996 damaged gearbox opinions please?

Although more than happy with my results fron Snetteton last week the bike had become increasingly difficult to change between 2/3 particularly downshifting and more so as the bike went faster/got hotter. After checking the selector was correctly adjusted I decided to bite the bullet and split the cases. This is what I found.
Although the damage to the dogs is what seems minimal to me (my first gearbox issue) would this have been enough to manifest itself as the problem?
Drum/forks/gears all perfect.

Ghost 27-Apr-2012 17:11

That damage is initial engagement, the flanks of the dogs have an angle ground on them to hold into mesh. I would sit for a while and stone those areas. Have you had some clutch drag?? The gear slots look the worse affected.

dunlop0_1 27-Apr-2012 18:13

No drag Phil. Just a pain to get into gear. It wouldn't jump out of gear once in but if I didn't make an over positive change I would get a false neutral etc.
Considered taking off 3 dogs on each gear?

Fresh box in now just waiting for headgaskets.

Ghost 27-Apr-2012 18:30

The drive side of the slots have had some trauma, has it been used with a quick shift kit now or prior.

Third and fourth I wouldn't have a prob removing the dogs, as the torque is considerably lower.

skidlids 27-Apr-2012 18:32

If the selector fork and all the teeth on the gears are OK I'm suprised the slots are that damaged, unless there is a shimming issue.

Which box did you replace it with, 996 or a 748 with closer ratios

dunlop0_1 27-Apr-2012 19:00

Don't know Phil if it has had a quick shifter in the past but apparantly had been raced before in SOT according to Paul.

996 Kev as it was free, I would have had to buy the closer ratio 748.

chris.p 27-Apr-2012 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
Don't know Phil if it has had a quick shifter in the past but apparantly had been raced before in SOT according to Paul.

996 Kev as it was free, I would have had to buy the closer ratio 748.

I do not think that the guy we bought the bike off of used a quick shifter, at the time Paul bought the bike i checked his race times, his best time for the old Snetterton, was over the 1 min 20 seconds, i was faster than that on my f400 racecbike:o . The back of the bike was so low it would have been as slow as a barge to turn, so i do not think he would have used a quick shifter and no mention of one when we picked the bike up.

Chris:burn:

Cranker V2 27-Apr-2012 22:41

I have a 748 cluster in bits in the workshop Neil. If you can rebuild a box of bits you welcome to have a look.

Mike.