Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Panigale: V4 / V2 / 1299 / 1199 / 959 / 899 (/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   My baby has arrived (/showthread.php?t=118422)

Stealth 15-Jun-2012 13:16

My baby has arrived

1 Attachment(s)
I have to say the sound of the full Termi system is awesome.

Just need some dry weather to get out and cause a few avalanches/trigger car alarms and generally qualify for a Sound ASBO.

bradders 15-Jun-2012 13:26

Nice *thumbsup*

benF04 15-Jun-2012 14:01

Congratulations, fingers crossed for some dry weather this weekend.

Im getting the full Termi system fitted in a couple of weeks time and can't wait. Do you know if it its louder than a full system on a 1098 and did it come with baffles? Im thinking of doing Brands GP circuit in July but it has a 101db noise limit.....

iang 15-Jun-2012 14:14

Nice photo, congratulations the bike looks great.

I have heard that the Termi system with the baffles in is quieter than the standard system and after hearing a friends bike with the standard exhaust It is very loud.

Stealth 15-Jun-2012 14:56

The system I have (full 70mm) does not seem to have removable baffles. In fact the comparison with my 998R is that it is much louder, deeper etc.,

I have no evidence to know how loud it is, but having heard that the standard system can tip the noise meters over 105dBa, I can only assume the Termis could go higher.

Still, not as loud as my old Rob North Rocket 3 which tipped the Brands hatch tower ride past noise meter at 118dBA ha ha!

virtualtwit 15-Jun-2012 20:45

MMmmmmmm - Very nice,
It's just a shame to get her dirty ?
BUT it has to be done - with a bit of luck, Her sister should arrive week Monday,
I never knew a week could be soooo long ! :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

Stealth 16-Jun-2012 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by iang
Nice photo, congratulations the bike looks great.

I have heard that the Termi system with the baffles in is quieter than the standard system and after hearing a friends bike with the standard exhaust It is very loud.

I looked again at the Termi product description and it seems that it should include baffles so I will chase up Ducati Leeds. I suspect they may be with all the odd bits that are yet to be dropped off such as the stock exhaust and pillion foot pegs etc.,

Stealth 16-Jun-2012 13:31

Yes, turns out the full Termi system does have baffles which just screw into the end can.

Will test one day to see if they significantly quieten the exhaust but for now will continue to rumble loudly across the country.

Stealth 16-Jun-2012 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by virtualtwit
MMmmmmmm - Very nice,
It's just a shame to get her dirty ?
BUT it has to be done - with a bit of luck, Her sister should arrive week Monday,
I never knew a week could be soooo long ! :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

Not taking it out in the rain unless I need to (although have a 300 mile run planned late Sunday & Monday - so possibly will get rained on).

I have to say, that you will not be disappointed when you get your bike. If you follow earlier posts of mine, I was in two minds about the Pani. I had ridden the RSV4 and really loved the engine and could live with its looks. I was less convinced by the Pani's looks and even after two test rides the only bit I still hadn't gotten to like was the looks.
Well now I've got it I am really pleased that I chose the Ducati. The looks grow on you and when you see all the design innovation and detail, you can see why this bike is a real game changer.

If I think back some 13/14 years when I got my first 996 I experienced a similar uncertainty about its looks until I " got it". I think the same is true of the Pani. In fact, with the Pani sat next to my 998R, the geometry and style of the 998 looks really dated (classic and don't get wrong, I still love it - but what a difference).

Because of all the electronic gadgetry on the Pani, it is easy to think that is all that is new and revolutionary. But when you think that this bike is essentially just a huge powerful V twin with seat, tank and running gear just bolted on, you realise this is a huge step forward in minimalist design.

With the free-er exhaust system, the sound and feel of the engine takes on its full character. The bottom end torque that is more controlled with the standard exhaust, is now much more apparent and begins to come close to the 1098 feeling.

For those that miss the mechanical sounds of the 916 to 1198, there are new sounds of the valve gear and chain drive that don't sound to me like any other cam chain driven bike I've ridden before. In short, this is still a Ducati. Its ultra modern, yet there is no mistaking that this is Italian idiosyncratic performance engineering at its best.

So, having obviously fallen in love with it - let's hope it doesn't strand me on the hard shoulder when I'm out tomorrow :-)

virtualtwit 16-Jun-2012 15:47

Nooooo - it won't let you down Stealth,
Called in dealers today (was working up that way)
Termi's and tinted double screen ordered, (unfortunately NOT the full system) I think I've taken the pi*s enough with the bike and termi's ? @er who has to be obeyed would NOT see the logic in the full system (or the cost) !
Good news is - it "could" land at the dealers earlier, (mid next week) but, I'm not building my hopes up AGAIN ?
£44 to up-grade insurance for the rest of it's term (until November)
It just gets better
I feel like a kid feels leading up to Christmas (and I'm 56) !!!!

I did notice a lot more noise coming up from beneath the tank when I test rode the demo, and the heat from the R/H side in town/traffic, but - what the hell, keep out of towns and pass traffic is my answer !

To be up-dated Gents, sooner rather than later - I hope ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stealth 16-Jun-2012 18:08

Quote:

Nooooo - it won't let you down Stealth,
Called in dealers today (was working up that way)
Termi's and tinted double screen ordered, (unfortunately NOT the full system) I think I've taken the pi*s enough with the bike and termi's ? @er who has to be obeyed would NOT see the logic in the full system (or the cost) !
Good news is - it "could" land at the dealers earlier, (mid next week) but, I'm not building my hopes up AGAIN ?
£44 to up-grade insurance for the rest of it's term (until November)
It just gets better
I feel like a kid feels leading up to Christmas (and I'm 56) !!!!

I did notice a lot more noise coming up from beneath the tank when I test rode the demo, and the heat from the R/H side in town/traffic, but - what the hell, keep out of towns and pass traffic is my answer !

To be up-dated Gents, sooner rather than later - I hope ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You told her indoors........!!!???

bradders 16-Jun-2012 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth
You told her indoors........!!!???

Always a bad idea :lol:

Stealth 19-Jun-2012 06:45

Just back from 300 mile trip on the Pani.

Impressions? FANTASTIC!!!

This bike is without question, outstanding. Currently running in the engine so no exceeding 5500rpm but this takes the bike over 100mph in 6th gear anyway. I have not seen the white smoke from the exhausts that seems to characterise a lot of the comments on US forums. Nor have I seen the head bolts loosening and oil seepage - also mentioned on the US forums. May be early days but no point inviting problems.

The much talked about hole in performance under 6000 rpm is not evident to me but I wonder if this is because of the full Termi system. IMO, the full Termis do transform the performance and the feel of the bike.

Any downsides?

The seat is a bit hard but hey... its Italian and aren't you supposed to put up with some suffering for your art? In truth, the seat is OK but won't be good for people who are expecting a sofa like experience.

The heat from the exhausts is noticeable but not yet intrusive. In fact on a cold day I suspect it is really welcome. Yesterday was quite warm and I did quite a bit of slow traffic with the engine reaching 95F. I am imagining it isn't going to get much hotter, so OK for now.

Loose fasteners. I did lose one of the screw and associated washers that attach the forward heat shield on the termi silencer.These had been fitted with "copper ease". Now all have been replaced with Loctite. I also went round and retightened all the fairing fasteners - some of which were loose. No idea whether they weren't tight in the first place or had worked loose. I will be checking all fasteners in these early days.

I did have a couple of embarrassing moments where the engine wouldn't start and I imagined all sorts of electronic failures. The truth is that I experienced "fail safes". The first was, you start the engine OK, put the bike into 1st gear and it stalls. Then you realise that the side stand is down - doh!
The second is, you press the start button and nothing happens. Huge embarrassment and fears for the worse until I realised that I left the bike in first gear (it was on a hill so I didn't want it to roll of the side stand).

Bike is now covered in road grime (it was raining a bit on Sunday) and the chain could do with a small adjustment (why no C spanner in the toolkit? Shop told me, people can get the dealer to adjust the chain! - no way!).

On the overall performance, as far as can be told while running in, it is deceptively fast. It is quick to accelerate and to decelerate (even before you brake which says some something about the engine braking). The engine invites you to keep it in high gear and just roll on the throttle. On motorways, I found that when I did this, I got the sensation of gentle acceleration - nothing incredible. Except, that where there had been cars right behind me, I now had what appeared to be specks in the mirror. The acceleration is amazing and I haven't yet got into the rev range that the journos write glowingly about.

Anyway, thought this might be of interest to new and aspiring Pani owners.

I now definitely feel the need to get the first service out the way and am hatching the notion of a trip to Italy. This is definitely a bike to take over the Alps and if anyone knows the road that goes out to Sorrento from Naples then this is the bike to do it on. Can't wait.

bradders 19-Jun-2012 09:26

Nice, must try one, but then what happens to the Evo I bought 8 months ago and have only managed 300 miles on....

Stealth 19-Jun-2012 12:58

never too many

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradders
Nice, must try one, but then what happens to the Evo I bought 8 months ago and have only managed 300 miles on....

Can you ever have too many bikes?????

virtualtwit 28-Jun-2012 16:54

Collecting my "baby" tomorrow (29th June), been a loooonnng time coming,
but, I KNOW it's going to be worth the wait !

Stealth 28-Jun-2012 22:00

Quote:

Have fun.........

Stealth 29-Jun-2012 16:39

Quote:

How has the day been?? Lived up to expectations? Any photos? :)

virtualtwit 30-Jun-2012 09:00

My baby has at long last arrived.
First impressions ?
Seats is like a brick,
far more noise from engine,
And - I fookin love it
It's pretty to the eye (well - it is to me) !
was it worth the wait/hassle ?
TOO FOOKIN RIGHT IT WAS

Wooo - Hooooo
(I did say I was like a big kid) ! ! !

virtualtwit 19-Jul-2012 22:25

1st service booked for next Tueday, 24/07/12,
Nurburgring August 17th - 20th, (wobble round like an old woman - but it's a real buzz)

kingfixer 19-Jul-2012 22:33

tis a thing of beauty, still sit and stare at mine, especially after ive just cleaned it.:D :D

900MAN 23-Jul-2012 12:20

Hope you don't mind but played with your pic (little sideline business of mine)

Gizmo 1199 23-Jul-2012 18:13

paintwork

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth
Can you ever have too many bikes?????

Hi I'm new to the forum but have owned various ducatis for the last 11 years. I'm waiting on my 1199 arriving (taking for ever) and would just like your thoughts on the paint work, does it scratch easy ? have you fitted the the clear venture sheild to protect it ? do you think it requires it. Most owners I have spoke to at pro twins seem to have this done. I have not done it in the past and have not had any issues with my 998s, 999s and 848 that I have previously owned. I would appreciate any feedback on this point. cheers

Iconic944ss 23-Jul-2012 23:25

Good Mini review by Stealth....

I've recently followed an 1199s for 2500 miles all the way to WDW and back :D

Gotta say - even though I'll never be able to afford one - I loved it!

The soundtrack in tunnels was a joy, the styling so sexy, its was as good as the scenery and those tail lights daring me ride faster.....

Sorry, its the grappa talking, time for bed!

kingfixer 24-Jul-2012 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo 1199
Hi I'm new to the forum but have owned various ducatis for the last 11 years. I'm waiting on my 1199 arriving (taking for ever) and would just like your thoughts on the paint work, does it scratch easy ? have you fitted the the clear venture sheild to protect it ? do you think it requires it. Most owners I have spoke to at pro twins seem to have this done. I have not done it in the past and have not had any issues with my 998s, 999s and 848 that I have previously owned. I would appreciate any feedback on this point. cheers

Yes the paint does scratch easy, which i pointed out to Ducati who said 'it isn't a warranty issue' :o WTF !!. I would fit the venture shield stuff if i were you !!

Gizmo 1199 24-Jul-2012 11:25

venture shield

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfixer
Yes the paint does scratch easy, which i pointed out to Ducati who said 'it isn't a warranty issue' :o WTF !!. I would fit the venture shield stuff if i were you !!

Thanks I appreciate the info. Dealer just called 5 mins ago, at last my bike has arrived (can't wait to cane it after running in). I know there are a few reviews on here already but I will leave some feedback on here after I've done a few miles.

kingfixer 24-Jul-2012 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo 1199
Thanks I appreciate the info. Dealer just called 5 mins ago, at last my bike has arrived (can't wait to cane it after running in). I know there are a few reviews on here already but I will leave some feedback on here after I've done a few miles.

ENJOY !!!! ;)

virtualtwit 24-Jul-2012 21:52

First service carried out today (24/07/12) - can start "using" it gradually now !
I have ordered the Ventureshield full kit (yesterday in fact), the art is in the fitting - apparently ?
I will "borrow" some liquid we use at work, (for window filming) stops the adheasive sticking as soon as you apply the covering/allows you to move the sheet into position, then - "iron out" any fluid-air bubbles so there is a invisible finish !
That - gents, is the "theory side" of it ! I will let you know just how well "theory" turns into "practice" ?
Wish me luck !

Gizmo 1199 01-Aug-2012 07:40

Quote:

First service carried out today (24/07/12) - can start "using" it gradually now !
I have ordered the Ventureshield full kit (yesterday in fact), the art is in the fitting - apparently ?
I will "borrow" some liquid we use at work, (for window filming) stops the adheasive sticking as soon as you apply the covering/allows you to move the sheet into position, then - "iron out" any fluid-air bubbles so there is a invisible finish !
That - gents, is the "theory side" of it ! I will let you know just how well "theory" turns into "practice" ?
Wish me luck !

I picked up my bike at the weekend and so far so good, I had the venture sheild full kit fitted before I collected the bike and you have to really look to notice that it is on there. Hopefully this will stop the paint scratching, chipping. Can't wait to finish running it in, don't remember the seat being as hard and slippery as this on the test rides. Apart from the slight niggle of the seat the bike is great, no sign of oil leaks or smoking on start up.

virtualtwit 04-Oct-2012 13:31

Nurburgring 2012

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]