Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New Clutch help please (/showthread.php?t=12253)

888heaven 06-Dec-2004 21:03

New Clutch help please

Ive just stripped down the T8s clutch as it was shrieking a bit and its totally worn out.
the clutch basket is well notched and some of the plates are blueish
question do I replace everything, are there any updated parts etc and where can I mailorder for the best deal.
thanks ian.
:puzzled:

Nigel C 06-Dec-2004 21:13

Have you checked the wear limit ? if they are not too worn
you can clean the plates up with emery or glass paper it's worked wonders on mine should last me till the new year when i can get some new plates

yeti 06-Dec-2004 21:16

You do't say what bike this is for so I am assuming it's a 888. If the basket is notched, then basically it's had it. Won't get better, only worse. Blue plates sound like it's been getting a bit hot, but that could imply be down to the clutch slipping as it wears out.

Would strongly suggest replacing the lot then at least you know exactly what's in there. Nelly at Cornerspeed has some pretty good deals on clutches, suggest you give him a call and have a chat. - 01623 758877

888heaven 06-Dec-2004 22:03

clutch

thanks
yeti yes its the 888 and nigel i havent checked any dims on play yet as it was getting late and cold last night.
in the ducati workshop manual they talk of the bell is this the basket there refering to?play must not exceed .023 and springs 1.437.
I will ring cornerspeed tom.
thanks ian.

Redsps 06-Dec-2004 22:29

should be a bog standard item mate, unless it's been messed about with.
try snells, I have allways managed to get one from them for my 851, from stock.
Should be same as an early 916 item.
Baines have them aswell.
as do JHP

cheers
robin

Nattyboy 07-Dec-2004 00:11

Im in the same boat mate...my clutch is knackered..Baines shimeed it out as much as they could for the previous owner ? Popular conversion is to go for the ally basket/setup I believe as its a little quieter etc ??..I sure I know someone recently who had an (ally) ST setup put on recently.

Cheers
Nat

TP 07-Dec-2004 00:14

Quote:

Originally posted by Nattyboy
Im in the same boat mate...my clutch is knackered..Baines shimeed it out as much as they could for the previous owner ? Popular conversion is to go for the ally basket/setup I believe as its a little quieter etc ??..I sure I know someone recently who had an (ally) ST setup put on recently.

Cheers
Nat

Ally plates are noticeably quieter than steel ones - and the ST4s plates are ally.

888heaven 08-Dec-2004 21:29

New clutch

thanks everyone
Neil from cornerspeed done the buisness ally clutch/basket 48 teeth quieter and longer lasting.
i'll let you know how i get on
Im giving it a severe looking over this winter new chain with smaller front sprog and set of head races to go on and different front pads.
ps
tp-996/natty
Neil is cheaper than baines if thats any help.
ian
:roll:

paynep 08-Dec-2004 22:37

Does the 48tooth job use the standard centre drum and springs?

I've got a 748R slipper on my 888 but damaged the basket when I crashed at Pembrey.
It's a bit grabby now and having watched it while it runs in gear (not easy!) the basket looks a bit p*ssed.................

Cheers, Paul

nelly 08-Dec-2004 23:02

Yes Paul, The 48T basket will work with any Ducati dry clutch. The drum assembly, with slipper if present, and the springs will work just fine.

888heaven 15-Dec-2004 20:24

clutch

T8 bits arrived today
Yeti thanks very much for the tip
Nelly thanks for the speedy delivery and the price.
spanners out this weekend OH yes.

paynep 16-Dec-2004 17:41

Have fun with the clutch drum nut !!!

Hope you have a windy gun or scaffold pole handy to go with the locking tool............:lol:

JPM 16-Dec-2004 17:43

Just get some spianch down you..... and make sure you have a tub of elbow grease handy :D

888heaven 17-Dec-2004 01:11

TOUGH NUT

You may take the **** guys but ive got an industrial air hammer gun so there.
tight nuts or not?
and if plan A goes tits up i've also got a scaffold pole.:frog::lol::lol::frog:

888heaven 19-Dec-2004 00:06

T8 Clutch

If any other T8 owners are interested the replacment clutch took an hour and half to fit,the clutch drum nut was'nt a problem but this may because the previous owner cleaned the plates every six months.
you will need a 32mm socket not all metric sets have this size, a cordless drill is handy for the clutch springs once the bolts been started.
the 8 8mm bolts that hold the basket on need thread lock on them.
As some of you know I had a problem with the wiring at Basingstoke,this I have repaired but there still remained a problem with starting.
I think I've traced the proplem to the starter motor as I bypassed the relay and solenoid and would only turn the engine over once and then just spin.
to access the starter motor you need to take the casing off which holds the waterpump on the left hand side,to get at 2 mounting bolts.
In the manual it calls up a tool to remove the waterpump.
do I need this tool to remove the housing and how much of the ancillarys do I have to take off.
any suggestions gratefully recieved.:puzzled:

keefer 19-Dec-2004 00:25

if the starter motor is spinning but the engine not turning over I would say that it is the sprag clutch.
Had this prob on my bike not so long ago, catches the engine quickly but then lets go.
You can get at it by taking of the same crankcase cover as you mentioned.
You don't need to remove the water pump I think you may be talking about the tool to draw of the cover as it will be held back by the magnet on the generator.
it can be made up fairly easily.

Jasper 19-Dec-2004 12:00

I have had the same problem.It sounds like the sprag clutch,rather than the starter.Easier enough,but you have to take off the alternator nut which unless you are lucky with an air gun,requires the special tool for holding the alternator .I have one if you want to borrow it.

888heaven 19-Dec-2004 23:56

Special tools

Cheers Jasper,
Iv'e decided that as all of the bodywork is off and I'm fitting new head bearings/chain and sprockets I will remove most items and give it a thorough clean and touch up and check everything as I go.
I wont be doing this till the new year now so I will contact you nearer the time if i may borrow the tools required.
thanks ian
happy xmas.

888heaven 07-Jan-2005 19:04

Alternator nut

Hi jasper
if your on line iv'e taken the alternator nut off,question is can I use an ordinary 2 legged puller to remove the alternator from the shaft or do I need a specail puller?
and if it is the sprag clutch thingy is it strikingly obvious.
thanks ian:puzzled:

keefer 07-Jan-2005 19:26

check this link posted by shazam earlier today. http://www.mad-ducati.com/Technical/...torCover2.html
it would of been helpful before you go to far just to jab the starter motor whilst looking at the starter clutch. make sure the fuel pump is disconnected so as not to allow it to run.
once the nut is off it should all come off without a puller

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by keefer]

888heaven 07-Jan-2005 19:43

Alternator nut

Cheers keefer
I was lucky one tap with a nylon hammer and the alt casing just slid off followed buy the nut.
however the link says that the rotor and wheel pull off without a puller mine seems too tight for this obviously I dont want to damage any of the parts.

If anyone else is reading this, one of the bolts for the starter motor is hidden behind the starter gear and is acsessed through one of the 3 holes in the cog.
plus this is best done with the bike on a proper mechanics ramp which I havent got as you need to remove the return spring on the side stand to remove the casing.

cheers keefer
ian:puzzled::eureka::puzzled::eureka:

keefer 07-Jan-2005 19:45

the starter gear will spin free in one direction so you can then access the bolt

888heaven 07-Jan-2005 19:50

Alternator nut

keefer
Im down to pic5 on the link thanks, starter is off along with the tank/radiator etc
its just the alternator seems very tight do I give it a tap or a puller?

Shazaam! 07-Jan-2005 19:53

The sprag clutch rollers are held in a cage with a very thin coiled spring in a slot around the circumference. When the sprag turns in a particular direction it locks up, in the other direction it just spins. The spring needs to supply the proper tension or else it slips in either direction.

One fix is to tighten-up the spring. Some have done this quite sucessfully and saved the expense of a new sprag. I suggest you just replaced it with new unit.

[Edited on 1-7-2005 by Shazaam!]

keefer 07-Jan-2005 19:53

have a good look to make sure the wood key is not damaged or fouling the alternator. if not get your fingers behind the fly wheel and give it a good tug. you wont damage it. you could never replicate the force that goes on in there when its running

888heaven 07-Jan-2005 19:59

alt

thanks chaps
looks like i'll be giving nelly a call for a new sprag clutch.
I'll keep you posted
thanks again
IAN:bouncy:

keefer 07-Jan-2005 20:00

you got it off then ?

888heaven 07-Jan-2005 20:03

alt

sorry keefer
no' I finished today at pic 5
but the starter motor is Ok theres no missing teeth on any cogs so the consensus points to the sprag clutch.
ian

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by 888heaven]

keefer 07-Jan-2005 20:06

stick at it. got to get it of eventually
try turning it in the direction it will spin, otherwise it will be griping the shaft.

this sounds so bad

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by keefer]

888heaven 07-Jan-2005 20:11

keefer
iv'e been on it all day there comes a point when if something does'nt move easily then its best to come back refreshed with new information rather than struggle and have an expensive mistake.
especialy as this is my pride and joy.
ian

keefer 07-Jan-2005 20:36

yes true have another go tomorrow.
pop some magic WD40 on it
although I cant imagine why that will help as it gets a constant oil bath.
hopefully someone will be along soon who has had a similar sticky case