Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   999r owners..........want 1120cc? (/showthread.php?t=34899)

andyb 14-Aug-2006 20:46

999r owners..........want 1120cc?

well.........got a bit bored and re read the mcn article on that sc carrachi bike the other week....

got to the bit about its bore/ stroke configaration...where they kept the std 999r bore 104mm and changed the std 58.8 stroke to 66mm to get the extra cc...

turns out 66mm is a 996 std stroke....so

I wonder if to get the extra cc is as easy as a refresh/ rebuild using a 996 crank?:confused:

I wonder what rods they used as i believe they even kept the std pistons..........

jj250 14-Aug-2006 20:51

Andy why would the all conquering 999r need extra cc's? i thought these were the ultimate ducati?

antonye 14-Aug-2006 20:58

AND why increase the stroke on that short stroke motor? Surely it won't rev so high now?

wilf 14-Aug-2006 21:06

late 996 crank will go straight in, you'd need to use pankle RS rods to take the extra power though.

Standard pistons work fine but if you're going to do this you may as well fit the Pistal high comp ones to make the most of things as the crank/rods/pistons assembly has to be re-balanced or it will shake itself to bits.

top mod..... if you want the extra grunt.

but ... to make the most of it you'll need big exhaust system, flowed heads, and on and on...

twpd 14-Aug-2006 21:09

I'd rather have a 748R with a Sigma 853R conversion thanks :)

Less is more as they say.

andyb 14-Aug-2006 21:16

Im not saying i want it...........im just saying as we wait with baited breath for the "new" bike, its just a good ol Ducati add together a bit of this and a bit of that = 1120cc!

mind you...........:rolleyes:

andyb 14-Aug-2006 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonye
AND why increase the stroke on that short stroke motor? Surely it won't rev so high now?

i guess the 200 bhp makes up for it though.......:lol:

andyb 14-Aug-2006 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by twpd
I'd rather have a 748R with a Sigma 853R conversion thanks :)

Less is more as they say.

:lol: same thing on a smaller scale.

twpd 14-Aug-2006 21:18

They probably had some left over 996 cranks and bodywork ;)

Isn't that how they do things normally?

twpd 14-Aug-2006 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyb
:lol: same thing on a smaller scale.

Indeed. I couldn't find a "wry" smile smiley :lol:

andyb 14-Aug-2006 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilf
late 996 crank will go straight in, you'd need to use pankle RS rods to take the extra power though.

Standard pistons work fine but if you're going to do this you may as well fit the Pistal high comp ones to make the most of things as the crank/rods/pistons assembly has to be re-balanced or it will shake itself to bits.

top mod..... if you want the extra grunt.

but ... to make the most of it you'll need big exhaust system, flowed heads, and on and on...

or wait 6 weeks til the new bike is out.!!!!

when you say pankle rs rods........from what bike? arnt the 999r rods pankle? do they need to be a shorter length cos of the increased stroke?

wilf 14-Aug-2006 21:32

The R pankle rods are good but not as strong as the RS ones. (998RS rods are ideal)

You don't need a different length con rod so you can use the 999R rods, the barrell needs to be spaced up with a bigger base gasket but because the squish clearance is normally to big on the motor out of the factory it helps take up some of the extra the you are trying to lose for the extra squish.

It is a bit of mucking about with base and head gasket sizes to get compression ratio and squish correct and you may even have to have the pistons machined down.

andyb 14-Aug-2006 21:43

996 rs crank on ebay £600...................:lol: :eek: :ninja:

Ray 15-Aug-2006 09:54

Andy,

Just resign yerself to the fact that you're gonna be riding an old model very shortly:lol:

No amount of fiddling with that 998r mota is gonna change that.

You can join the old farts sitting round the camp fire at cadwell reminising about the old days..............I'll be there poring over me 998 brochure, hell I might even be able to find an old 999 brochure for ya!

Ray.

wilf 15-Aug-2006 10:03

Quote:

996 rs crank on ebay £600...................:lol: :eek: :ninja:

Careful, 996 RS crank means no starter and will be too light to balance to the larger pistons.

jeff st4s 15-Aug-2006 11:38

Quote:

Careful, 996 RS crank means no starter and will be too light to balance to the larger pistons.

Wilf, I thought you said you don't do the grease monkey bit, you seem to know far too much for a novice.
Have you been hanging around with the wrong crowd latetly?

andyb 15-Aug-2006 19:43

Quote:

on the advert its says it would need a peg..........if you want to fit a starter!

Too light..........oh good then the std 996 one will be cheaper!!:D :o

996 15-Aug-2006 20:09

Ray, you naughty monkey, don't be so hard on Andyb.

He, of all ducati riders shouldn't need the extra power,he's such an experianced rider that he dosen't need the extra power,his riding skill and talent alone wil make up for the lack of power........isn't that right andy!!!!!

andyb 15-Aug-2006 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 996
Ray, you naughty monkey, don't be so hard on Andyb.

He, of all ducati riders shouldn't need the extra power,he's such an experianced rider that he dosen't need the extra power,his riding skill and talent alone wil make up for the lack of power........isn't that right andy!!!!!

Cos with 16 posts you really have contributed to the debate...........:rolleyes:

jj250 15-Aug-2006 21:15

i kind of get the impression you ask for that kind of post andy

996 15-Aug-2006 21:21

Sorry andy,we're not getting at you,don't take it so personally.Chill out

Just thought that you wouldn't need that extra power, thought you might be able to make up for the power loss with your infinate bike knowlage and handling skills that you talk of so frequently!!!!!

wilf 15-Aug-2006 21:28

Quote:

on the advert its says it would need a peg..........if you want to fit a starter!

Too light..........oh good then the std 996 one will be cheaper!!:D :o

I reckon a late 996 bp / S crank would be perfect and you should be able to get one for sensible money not the RS price tag.

just a thought but ...

The best thing about a long stoke conversion is that you get more bottom end and mid range so i'd expect that you would use the top end of the rev's less (not have to scream the death out of it !!!) so you shouldn't stress the motor as much and will have fewer problems with cranks / rods / cases breaking. (this is certainly the case with 996 - 1026 conversions)

Speaking to the guys who tune the GSXR's and R1's, they have less problems with motors letting go with the mega horsepower bikes because the riders cant use anyway near all the power (definitely not on the road) so they short shift halfway through the rev range and the motor gets far less abuse.

andyb 15-Aug-2006 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 996
Sorry andy,we're not getting at you,don't take it so personally.Chill out

Just thought that you wouldn't need that extra power, thought you might be able to make up for the power loss with your infinate bike knowlage and handling skills that you talk of so frequently!!!!!

Who's we?

wilf 15-Aug-2006 21:37

i'm out of this thread...

thought it would be a nice techy chat about tuning and riding bikes but its all getting a bit handbags at dawn for me.

andyb 15-Aug-2006 22:02

Quote:

i'm out of this thread...

thought it would be a nice techy chat about tuning and riding bikes but its all getting a bit handbags at dawn for me.

not so fast my technical friend...........i was at Silverstone today, there was a 2005 xerox rep there......hes from your way. Do you know him?

wilf 15-Aug-2006 22:18

Yeah, he just had it in the workshop this weekend for a last minute set of tyres for today.

tried to get him along to Cadwell but i think he as other plans.

how was the trackday???

andyb 15-Aug-2006 22:22

Silverstone is fast and hard work, but its also lots of fuel, and............earts tyres.

I saw him at the suspension guy complaining about the wear on his new tyres. To be honest they looked cold tear to me......... but suspension.

The bloke fiddled and i suspect charged him the £30+.....

i sugested he spoke to some one to set his bike up, it looked std and neutral to me???

Up with the rear and down with the front.........i say! I planted a few seeds so he may be in buying again soon.........

andyb 15-Aug-2006 22:26

Ps ....i could of cried when i saw the damage to his carbon fairings..........:borg:

wilf 15-Aug-2006 22:27

er... its a tricky one to comment on. U2U on its way, or whatever its called now.

bike mad 16-Aug-2006 16:31

nice thread, keep them coming,
and as for the power do we or dont we, just ask are you riding a moped or a super bike
I like to make the best of what I have and this sounds like the way foward for me, not yet but one day, when something goes wrong with the engine,
Wilf is right the one in M.C.N has lots of bottom end power and thats where it's at, useable power
but I dont get how you lift the cyinder head 4mm or is it a case of 2mm of the piston and the rest done with gaskets,
also is it possible to lathe the piston from a 999 to make the piston plus rods weigh the same weight as the ones from the 996S crank.
does anyone know the tolerances in weights,
This is what this site is about where else can you get the answers to this type of thing.
well done Wilf and all keep it coming
:flame::burn: :burn:

VanDaMauler 16-Aug-2006 16:42

Andyb...

You really are giving ya self a hard time over this "new" 999 replacement aint ya....

Like someone said ealier.....Chill!!!!

Dont worry about it, I`m sure you love "your" 999 and thats all that matters.......Right????

So let things evolve and progress...

andyb 16-Aug-2006 16:43

Totally agree!
1) a modification that is worth doing
2) relatively speaking its cheaper than some mods.
3) whether you are serious or not with doing the mod, I find it really interesting.

bike mad 16-Aug-2006 16:49

I'll say
:flame: :burn: :burn:

andyb 16-Aug-2006 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanDaMauler
Andyb...

You really are giving ya self a hard time over this "new" 999 replacement aint ya....

Like someone said ealier.....Chill!!!!

Dont worry about it, I`m sure you love "your" 999 and thats all that matters.......Right????

So let things evolve and progress...

im sure theres something about a leopard and spots.......

butch890 16-Aug-2006 19:20

You just knew i,d be along didnt you Andy!
Why not go the whole hog and stick the 999 crank in!
There is a 1190 out and about,if you know where to look!
(or a 924 baby R,with 170 bhp!)
Butch

andyb 16-Aug-2006 19:29

The longest stroke i can find is the 996 66mm.......the std 999 (998cc) is 63.5..........of course you could make a crank but, the 996 is favourable......and realistic and relatively cheap...........

The trouble is extracting the 170 bhp from the 749 bore makes it highly tuned and unreliable........in any case if you have a 749r why not fit 999r bore and a 996 stroke.................kind of wouldnt be a baby r any more though!

butch890 17-Aug-2006 13:53

No but with the999 bore and 749 strke you will get a motor that still revs to 13000 ,whilst having the low down grunt of the 890(in fact its just the later version of the 890).
Whoopeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Butch

andyb 17-Aug-2006 14:04

Why scream the bike to 13000 rpm..when with 1120...the power is there much lower down.....so more reliable, less stress, less balancing needed...........

yeeehaaaaaaaa!

VanDaMauler 17-Aug-2006 14:05

Save ya money and buy the new bike....

Even if you have to take a hit on your 999.

bike mad 17-Aug-2006 14:51

Save ya money and buy the new bike....

Even if you have to take a hit on your 999.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????
is it me or have you just do an about face,

if you save the money you wont buy a new bike, will you.
stop and think, a new 1200 will cost £6000 and you old bike the crank and rods will cost £1500, you do the sums,:lol: :lol:
ps it's just a guess
:flame: :burn: :burn: