Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Eprom chip removal (/showthread.php?t=12541)

Frank 20-Dec-2004 10:12

Eprom chip removal

Morning

Got myself some new termi's with replacement chip for my 2000 748, do I need to buy both the extraction and replacement tool for the chip and if so how much and where or has someone out there got any hints how to deal with this?

happy xmas

[Edited on 10-1-2005 by Frank]

cashburning748r 20-Dec-2004 10:16

HI Frank can be done with neither but you will need a lot of light and patience, enjoy.

As long as you keep it as level as possible it will be ok i.e not remove one end and them the other.

rockhopper 20-Dec-2004 10:34

Slightly bent pins can be sraightened but if one snaps off then you are in trouble. Dont chip the package either. A small screwdriver can be used be to be honest if its not something you have done before then i would get a chip puller. they only cost a few quid from Maplins.

Walenut 20-Dec-2004 11:27

And whilst your in maplin get an earthing strap as well just to be on the safe side.

antonye 20-Dec-2004 12:52

Quote:

Originally posted by S.P
And whilst your in maplin get an earthing strap as well just to be on the safe side.

And don't forget to plug it in as well!

Although I must say that I've actually changed a fuel chip using a screwdriver, without an eart strap and while the power was still on and it survived... but I wouldn't recommend it.

rockhopper 20-Dec-2004 13:19

An earth strap is handy but all you really need to do is touch an earthed metal object (washing machine, metal light switch box like they have in garages or sheds) then go to the bike preferably without walking over a nylon carpet!!

Frank 20-Dec-2004 14:39

cheers

do we have any contact details for maplins - website, phone number etc?

Shazaam! 20-Dec-2004 14:47

I won’t get into the wisdom of changing chips while the ECU is powered-up, but changing chips while the computer is powering-down is a definite no-no.

The 1.6M ECU (used in a 748) has an internal power supply that keeps it powered-up for 15 seconds after you turn the key off. It uses this time to do some internal housekeeping. If you pull the EPROM during this period, the computer isn’t EVER able to re-boot properly. This can also damage the coil drivers.

So, pull the wiring harness quick-disconnect off the ECU, and wait a bit before pulling the chip.

[Edited on 12-20-2004 by Shazaam!]

antonye 20-Dec-2004 14:56

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ - sign up for their email newsletter and you'll get some discount vouchers. These are aimed at the hobbyist and have some high-street shops which are great for getting the odd low-value item without P&P charges.

Also have a look at http://rswww.com/ which is RS Components website. Same thing but more geared towards the supply/professional market and thus may be more expensive for small orders. Chip extractor - # 423-992

Frank 12-Jan-2005 15:12

Eprom removal

For the sake of my ECU and back pocket, could someone offer an ABC guide to removing and replacing of an eprom chip? ie engine/ignition on or off etc etc

cheers.

A