Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Multistrada: Enduro / Pikes Peak / V4 / V2 / 1260 / 1200 / 1100 / 1000 (/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Front brake problem (/showthread.php?t=12009)

BDG 26-Nov-2004 12:09

Front brake problem

I've read a few old posts about the issue of the front brake grabbing at slow speeds. It feels a bit like a warped disc but i don't think it is as you don't feel it at higher speeds and there is no pulseing thru the brake lever.

When i'm down to less than 10 miles an hour and virtually stopped it just feels like the front brake grabs a bit then releases a few times. I've scrubbed the discs and pads with brake cleaner just in case there is any contamination. Slight improvement but not much, may try changing the front pads, any ideas before i do that or take it back to the dealer:puzzled:

Rattler 26-Nov-2004 12:12

That'll be the ABS working !!!!!:):):):):):)

Seems like it might be warping?

Tim:frog:

Harv748 26-Nov-2004 12:18

Are they fully floating jobbies...if so maybe they are not floating as fully as they should!

Are the discs able to rattle around on the discs pins like they are supposed too? Maybe the discs need a good clean, paying particular attention to the disc pins.

[Edited on 26-11-2004 by Harv748]

Harv748 26-Nov-2004 12:21

Just re-read your original post... and noticed a) they are off a multistrada so probably not fully floating and b) that you have already given the discs a good clean!

I'm not really helping much am I!!!:rolleye:

JPM 26-Nov-2004 12:24

Would filing the edges of the pads down slightly help here? Or am I talking BS?

misterpink 26-Nov-2004 13:01

seems to be common to the MS and put me off buying one - i remember there being alot of posts about this when they first came out also check on www.multistrada.net which is a good site dedicated to all things multistrada. from memory everyone tried different pad combos, even tyres and forks some done under warranty but i am not sure if there was a surefire conclusion why it happens.

PeteB 26-Nov-2004 16:50

Reading all the posts about this problem on multistrada.net there seems to be no definitive answer. One guy has dropped the forks down so only three lines are showing and is convinced its made a drastic improvement, I'd be inclined to try that first.

yeti 26-Nov-2004 17:47

Seems a real odd ball one this. Find it quite disturbing the Ducati seem quite happy to let them out the factory with this problem and no real solution. It's got to be a pad/disc compatibility problem surely? Don't the Numptystroodles have the discs bolted directly to the rims? Could that be the problem, no "give"?

Dementor 26-Nov-2004 17:50

Had a new banjo bolt fitted to mine, which is supposed to be the fix, but haven't had chance to see if it has done the job. Wouldn't let that stop anyone buying one of these great bikes though:D

yeti 26-Nov-2004 17:53

How on earth can a banjo change the way the brake feels? Bigger bore maybe? Nice easy solution if it works.

Fingers crossed for all you Numptystroodle owners.