Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   998R improvements (/showthread.php?t=13601)

MarioP 26-Jan-2005 20:03

998R improvements

Gentlemen,

I will start by saying that I agree with most of you suggesting to spend $ on track days (or schools) instead of buying bits and pieces to make your bike look priettier or go faster.

I would still like to ask you this question though:

Just got myself a 998r, with a double swing arm, a wet slipper clutch, radial brake master cylinders Brembo, Showa front and rear suspensions, 54mm full exhaust system, Marelli dashboard, OZ wheels and a dyno test showing 147hp (not at the wheel, though).

What would you buy to improve the track riding experience?

Air filters, power commander, Ohlins front, Ohlins rear, ...? Service, tune-up,...?

Thanks a lot,

Mario

P.S.: Last saturday I was at Brands Hatch with Focused Events and plan to go to Silverstone on Feb 20 with 100% Bikes. It would be great if I could meet up with some of you guys...:D

[Edited on 26-1-2005 by MarioP]

TP 26-Jan-2005 20:07

Double sided swingarm????

Jon 26-Jan-2005 20:17

Yeah you can just make it out on Mario's avitar.

Mario, I take it you bike is a dedicated track bike with a 998R lump ?

Regarding TD's, you are bound to meet up with some of us sooner or later.

Jon 26-Jan-2005 20:19

I just noticed, you say "wet slipper".

MarioP 26-Jan-2005 20:22

Yes. It has a slipper clutch, but not dry (in oil instead).

You are right. This is going to be my track bike.

Sorry for asking, but what do you mean by 998r lump (damn foreigners...)

Ciao

Jon 26-Jan-2005 20:26

Its only that a 998R comes with ohlins front & rear has standard.
:puzzled:

MarioP 26-Jan-2005 20:34

You are right! This is a Ducati factory prototype which was used to model the 999 (infact I have the 3 vertical headlight set mounted on the 998 front cone).

I do not know why they took the Ohlins off.

MarioP 26-Jan-2005 20:39

Here is a picture of the front view

TP 26-Jan-2005 20:41

Interesting!

MarioP 26-Jan-2005 20:47

Any suggestions guys?

Harv748 26-Jan-2005 20:59

A suggestion, if your doing lots of track riding then you may benifit from a quickshifter...but enough of that... lets see some more photo's of that bike...Interesting indeed!

Twinfan 26-Jan-2005 20:59

Tell us more about your bike! :D

TP 26-Jan-2005 21:03

Go the ohlins.

Now, whats this about a wet slipper?

MarioP 26-Jan-2005 21:16

Simple story: This is the bike the Ducati prototype department has used (or one of the models) to test some of the new features you now also see on the 999 2005 (e.g. wet slipper clutch or dual swing arm). Apparently the bike was tested by Fogarty (please do not quote me on that), but was definitely used by the ufficial Ducati tester to open the DWD 2003 event. It has bits and pieces of the 998/999 bikes, including the engine, so I hope it never brakes down, or I am toasted...

Can you guys PLEASE give me your thoughts on potential improvements? Btw, thanks for the quick shifter idea!

I will bring it to the DSC meeting on Feb 14, though.

MarioP 26-Jan-2005 21:23

Guys, I am sure you will LIKE this. The bitch dumped me just last w-e, so it is pay-back time...

Please your comments...on the improvements obviously!:devil:

GsxrAge 26-Jan-2005 21:27

Payback's a Bitch

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

GsxrAge 26-Jan-2005 21:28

Fit tho

:biaggi::biaggi::biaggi::biaggi::biaggi:

madmav 26-Jan-2005 21:28

can i pay the bitch back 4u?;)

TP 26-Jan-2005 21:33

Quote:

Originally posted by Dseered
Now come on MarioP, I am sure there are more in that set of piccies !

DCR

:lol:

GsxrAge 26-Jan-2005 21:34

Quote:

Originally posted by Dseered
Now come on MarioP, I am sure there are more in that set of piccies !

DCR

Lets hope so.:cool::cool:

wonder how much payback mariop wants ?????:lol::lol:

MarioP 26-Jan-2005 21:39

Somehow I managed to steer the conversation into a totally different direction, and I really do not know how!

On a more serious note (even though life is too f..... short not to have a bit of fun) I would propose this:

The top 3 recommendations, based on the number of duplicates, will receive another personalised picture, I promise. Obviously the winners will be the ones who will come up with the recommendation first...

Happy bidding...

P.S.: This sounds really weird guys!

cashburning748r 26-Jan-2005 21:40

Without a doubt, your bike is nice and very unique. Nice one.

Your ex aint bad, plenty more where they come from!

Stay safe.

GsxrAge 26-Jan-2005 21:44

Ok your bike is sexy !!!!

It's not a 999 so it has to be sexy :cool:

TP 26-Jan-2005 21:46

Mario, you've already got a fair few performance bits on there. If you want to keep going then I would consider ohlins suspension.

You've got plenty there, why don't you consider getting it set up properly. Try taking it to someone like Sigma for a full monty and a few other toys.

pedro 26-Jan-2005 21:50

whats here phone number?:bouncy:

adam 26-Jan-2005 21:56

improvements, ok, right arm should be moved, eyes should be open with a slight sparkle, back should be a bit more arched and i think maybe boots instead of those mickey mouse shoes.:D if you dont mind me just saying you might want to do a few mods to the Duke also.:D:D

JPM 26-Jan-2005 22:11

Seriously how much do you want to spend though... as the list is endless...

Bling ride height adjuster
Close ratio box
Thumb operated rear brake
Ohlins WSB spec forks/shock
Brembo GP calipers front/rear
Lap timer
Full telemetry kit

Oh the list just goes on and on...

MarioP 26-Jan-2005 22:15

I would just like to understand what the top 3 improvements/adjustments I could do to my bike for a better track riding experience (probably using a consevative cost/benefit ratio).

Thanks

JPM 26-Jan-2005 22:21

You look to have some lightweight wheels, so that's one huge improvement already, the forks and shock would be another but that's going to be around £2000+ for R+R kit not WSB, have you got rearsets on that thing? might not make a major improvement, but some seem to think so.

I'd ditch the lights, and get a standard race nosecone, 1 to save weight, 2 if it is a prototype you're never going to find a spare nosecone/light assembly easily in case of an off.

Engine wise, well without knowing what it has you could try contacting someone like JHP and have them set it up, Power commander custom mapping, let alone what John could do for you.

Jon 26-Jan-2005 23:35

Just a few simple mods first Maro.
Adj/ rearsets. £250 - £275.00
Forks re-sprung / re-valve. ?
Trackday bodywork. Can be for as lttle has £300.00
Fork crash protectors. (bungs) £15.00

skidlids 27-Jan-2005 00:11

I would go for a set of adjustable offset yokes so that the trail can be altered, in these I would look at fitting a set of Ohlins Road and track forks, not the mass produced ones. And as Jon said a set of adjustable rearsets my choice would be Harris Performance ones, they would also do you the Yokes and the forks.

nelly 27-Jan-2005 00:46

I'd go the suspension route to, especially if you're happy with the power you have.
Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd start with an Ohlins rear, set up specifically for you and have the showas "sorted" with springs and a revalve or maybe a new cartridge system. Not as "bling" as Ohlins but cheaper and if done properly by someone like K-tech, the difference wouldn't be noticeable to mortals like ourselves............
If you want Ohlins, then R&T's.
Remember though that having the shock and forks sprung and valved correctly is the key to getting the improvements. You could spend £2k on a set of forks but if they aren't setup for you, you're missing most of the advantages.
I'd go along with a set of track bodywork to. That kit on your bike will be irreplaceable.
The brake syatem already looks pretty sorted. If you don't know what pads are fitted, and for track use only, have a go with Bendix CR-Matrix pads. Not really any good for the road as they need a bit of heat but when warmed up.............WOW!!

rcgbob44 27-Jan-2005 11:22

A very interesting bike, I actually quite like the front nose cone set up but am very interested in more info on your wet slipper clutch. Just one point tho` if it is a Factory prototype maybee you should not modify it to much or you`l loose its exclusivity and factory rareness!

ps I agree with all the above especailly the bits about more piccy`s of your ex!

Have a nice day

quickrik 27-Jan-2005 11:26

Ohlins all the way

Let me 2nd peoples opinions here. If you want to improve you track day experience (and speed) spend your money on suspension either improving your current set up or get Ohlins.

And (its been said above) get it set up properly. Friend of mine is Ohlins trained and liciensed/franchised by K-tech, did a fantastic job on my Ohlins. U2U me and i'll pass his details on.

Rik...

keefer 27-Jan-2005 12:30

brembo brake master cylinder

misterpink 27-Jan-2005 12:54

that is a very interesting bike - how did you get it? anyway tempting offer to WIN the piccies - the girl obviously has no taste - rcgbob has made a valid point, that thing is sooo special and has a good history - it is better just improving the set-up of everything that you have - after all as the best chefs say - first get the ingredients right and then the "art" is to blend them in the correct amount before cooking, so you have great ingredients, get them tuned for you and the use that you have in mind - then enjoy (i am sure we all agree - we are all jealous)

dickieducati 27-Jan-2005 12:55

1. power commander/set up
2. ohlins rear
3. ohlins front

all depending on the cash you have and how much you think you will benefit from improved suspension, no idea of you riding ability but i guess pretty good.

MarioP 27-Jan-2005 13:04

Guys, thanks for the great suggestions thus far.

Clutch: all I know is that rathern than dry, it is oil-based (should last longer and perform better). It is something ducati has / will start producing soon.

Brakes: already have the brembo brake master cylinders, but thanks anyway

Rik, my email address is mariopepe2@yahoo.com

Thanks, Mario

Twinfan 27-Jan-2005 13:31

How did you come by the bike Mario? You can't exactly pick that kind of bike up at your local dealer!

RickyX 27-Jan-2005 14:08

Cuesta e bella! La moto et la donna.....mi piace molto!! :frog:

Ci vediamo,

R X

[Edited on 27-1-2005 by RickyX]