Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   748 flywheel (/showthread.php?t=26509)

multi600 30-Jan-2006 11:18

748 flywheel

I have been thinking about taking the flywheel off my 748. I have read about the effect this has but just wondered if anyone had done it and what the real life pros and cons were. The bike is just for fun so is only for track days and a bit of fun when the sun is out.

Mike

antonye 30-Jan-2006 11:33

Shazaam did a big write up on flywheels, so have a search for that.

rockhopper 30-Jan-2006 12:34

Also depends on the year of the bike i think. Some years cannot be removed becasue its part of the charging system. Sure i read that somewhere. Might have been 996's though.

multi600 30-Jan-2006 13:32

I have read most of the blurb and have checked that it can be removed from my bike I just wanted to know if any one had done it and if it made much/any real difference to the way the bike perfroms?

Mike

keefer 30-Jan-2006 13:41

as you know its only the two phase alternators that can have the fly wheel removed.
I did it on my bike and really liked it. in fact everyone that has had it done will tell you they like it.
for me it was as if the bike had been given a injection of steroids.
tic over may well need to be raised a bit or it will stall allot, because of the lack of inertia.
however some well informed people on here would not recommend it, not because it will cause any damage. but as they say if ducati put it there why take it off.
at the end of the day give it a go and see what you think.
I don't think you will put it back on though

multi600 30-Jan-2006 13:51

Right then, it's off with the flywheel as soon as the DD bike is finished.

Mike

Nattyboy 30-Jan-2006 14:43

Watching this with interest...Im pretty sure im going to get the flywheel taken off mine, but wanted to do a couple of track days on it first so I can value the improvement.

I probably wouldnt do it for a road bike, but as mine is if for track use only there isnt really a compromise required with practicality (read stalling!).

Nat

deej 31-Jan-2006 22:00

the flywheel came off mine when i had my 853 kit fitted and i love it

i think my tickover needs to be raised because it does stall a bit when cold but once warmed up it isnt a problem,would recommend it to anyone

how do you raise the tickover then guys ??

m1keyp 01-Feb-2006 12:12

Watching this with interest.

Would a 748S benefit from removing the flywheel of by fitting a lighter one?