Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   top yoke removal (/showthread.php?t=29516)

JD65 18-Apr-2006 10:44

top yoke removal

I want to fit some new bars so i need to take the top yoke off. I can see that the damper comes off and the clamp bolts th losen but
wWhat dose the central bit do. do you leave it in place do you need a special tool to remove it?

andyb 18-Apr-2006 11:25

Easy peasy mate, just undo the top yolk clamp bolts on the side, ie the top of the two fork legs and the bit that grips around the steering stem!

No special tools, dont touch the slotted bit thats for pre load on the headstock bearings!

[Edited on 18-4-2006 by andyb]

Loz 18-Apr-2006 17:25

How do you know when the slotted, pre-load for the headstock bearings thingy is set right? Is it a case of "It won't turn cos you over-tightened it" or is there a torque setting for it?

Thanks!

KeefyB 18-Apr-2006 17:43

Quote:

Originally posted by Loz
How do you know when the slotted, pre-load for the headstock bearings thingy is set right? Is it a case of "It won't turn cos you over-tightened it" or is there a torque setting for it?

Thanks!
Yep,there is a torque setting.According to my manual,its is tighten to 20nm,then slacken off by 30degrees.:)

Loz 18-Apr-2006 17:47

Keefy, thanks for the info, mate, and also for the reminder that this is a bike forum! :lol:

:)

ecc3 18-Apr-2006 18:01

Once you have all the bolts loosened, some triple clamps will slide off easily with just a little tapping of a rubber mallet while others might need a little more "gentle force" ... if you have the bike lifted-up on rear stands, you might need to switch the position of the forks to help you remove the top yoke. With one hand, grab the front wheel and move it around front/back and left/right... this will help line up forks tubes so that removing the yoke will be easier.

JD65 19-Apr-2006 14:19

thanks guys i got ot pff no problem.