Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   General Motorcycles only (/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Brembo Locking Calipers (/showthread.php?t=81276)

Paul620 16-Dec-2009 21:39

Brembo Locking Calipers

Hi all. I just read on another forum this;

Quote:

As for brembo being the best didnt the duke have issuses with locking calipers?Scary thought that happening at 70

Does anyone know what the guy is on about, I have only heard of this happening on an R1.

Thanks. :)

skidlids 16-Dec-2009 22:21

Only through poor maintenance. Letting the pads wear to thin on the 4-pad callipers could lead to problems

Paul620 16-Dec-2009 22:25

Ahhh, right, thanks for that. Sounds like the usual anti-Duke jealousy to me :)

skidlids 17-Dec-2009 00:02

Its not just Ducatis that use the Brembo P4 four pad calipers, Aprilia also use them and I'm sure the New Triumphs use the same and probably a few others like Guzzis, Benellis etc

Ray 17-Dec-2009 12:31

Cause and effect?

IMHO "caliper problems" are more likely to be the result of problems at the lever end, you need to be careful when fitting/using pattern levers.

A mate had a surprise on his R1 at Donnington a good while ago as the direct result of a fitting a pattern brake lever after a spill. Those in the know fixed the problem with a file in a few minutes and he won "save of the day" from the organisers as didn't hit the deck when it happened.

Ray.

Gilps 17-Dec-2009 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray
Cause and effect?

IMHO "caliper problems" are more likely to be the result of problems at the lever end, you need to be careful when fitting/using pattern levers.

A mate had a surprise on his R1 at Donnington a good while ago as the direct result of a fitting a pattern brake lever after a spill. Those in the know fixed the problem with a file in a few minutes and he won "save of the day" from the organisers as didn't hit the deck when it happened.

Ray.

The problem can come from the pin at the lever end being wound out too far. It doesn't allow the fluid to return to the master cylinder reservoir and keeps the pressure in the lines charged.