View Single Post
Old 18-Oct-2004, 10:22
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I must admit that I've gone the other way and fitted 14/40 gearing to mine and absolutely love it! It really helps to move the range of the engine so it makes it easier to ride at 30 and 40 through town, pulls much quicker and still doesn't top out to 150-something.

As for suspension ... that's a whole new can of worms. The best thing I was told by the Ohlins suspension technicians when I had my bike setup on a trackday (with 100% Bikes which cost £35 for a full day of suspension twiddling and was well worth the money!) was that when you press down on the seat (ie, the centre of the bike) it should compress at an even rate both front and rear.

When he first showed me, mine dipped down only at the front which showed that the rear was was too hard which is typical of a biposto bike. By the end of the day it compressed evenly and felt so much better - it took away the remaining rear wheel skipping that I had, even with the slipper clutch - plus they don't work when the back wheel is in the air anyway! The rear static sag was dropped from the recommended 20mm to more like 15mm (he commented that Ducatis perform better like this) which was quite a few turns on the rings. It even felt that the setup was helping me to brake harder too.

So get yourself out on a track and get some quality advice on the suspension as I felt it was money well spent.