Old 03-Dec-2009, 12:10
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
blimey Antonye, you are a flash bugger ain't ya!

generator can be had for under 200 quid with a bit of shopping about. tyre warmers for 150 or less if second hand like most buy

Sorry, but I was trying to be realistic as not everyone will find second-hand bargains and may not get the cheapest price either.

The point I was making was that:

1) you obviously can't "ban" generators from the track, it was just a misunderstanding due to their association with tyre warmers

2) spending out on tyre warmers and generators goes against the original concept of the DD series - ie, a BUDGET series - especially when you could end up spending just as much on tyre warmers and generator as some people paid for the bike to race on

I know it wasn't obvious that if you want/need tyre warmers then you'd also have to buy a generator, but it shows that just because you think something is going to cost you X, it doesn't necessarily mean that's how it ends up! Tyre warmers are cheap these days, but not everyone will buy cheap and not everyone buys just one either; some people/teams are running more than one bike!

The same goes for tuning options - just because it's "optional" doesn't mean that people won't spend out (and spend a lot!) on doing it, because it's in the rules. A good example was the issue with forks and cartridge kits from a while back; some people spent a *lot* of money having these fitted (and again, probably more than others paid for their bikes!) because they could afford to do it. Not everyone did, but because the interpretation of the rules was that you could - someone did.

This is why it's a great idea to not allow tuning in the DD series, as it's just too much of an opportunity for people to spend a lot of money getting the best out of their engine, and after all DD is an entry-level, budget race series and not World Superbikes!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!