Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Rent a racer??? Just a thought. (/showthread.php?t=12572)

Iconic944ss 21-Dec-2004 00:36

Rent a racer??? Just a thought.

Hmmmmmm....

Duuno if this is not out of hand after all the hard work thats been done by the management teams etc.

But a post on the MZ site got me wondering:

Since there seems to be so much interested in DesmoDue but, lots of peeps with limited resources, how about if the DSC itself buy and prepare a 600/620 and allow members to "Hire" it for individual races ???

Could it be covered with trackday insurance? (other companies seem to manage it effectively).

Finally - YES - I'll put my hand in the air and offer to help out in any way I could.

Over to the forum.........

Frank

NBs996 21-Dec-2004 00:42

nice thought frank, but don't get my vote I'm afraid.

too much club funds for too few members don't you think?

Iconic944ss 21-Dec-2004 01:05

To tell the truth NB I'm not at all sure what the number of 'real' DSC club membership is?

Rent-a-racer would take alot of time and setting up I'm sure but at the very worst it would be another bum/s on the start line :lol:

Maybe some REALLY REALLY NICE Ducati store could fettle it and bring it along to each race eh?

[Edited on 21-12-2004 by Iconic944ss]

Jools 21-Dec-2004 10:21

Depends what the rental fee is though doesn't it NBs? I would've thought you could cover the costs of a bike over 8 races at what? Let's say a build cost of £3000-ish, run it for a couple of years which would work out at say £300 a race, which should cover a bit of maintenance as well. Obviously, there would need to be a hefty credit card deposit to cover a 'you bend it, you mend it' clause which would obviously have to allow for the possibility of total destruction.

I asked the question some time ago whether it would be possible to do a bike share for those individuals strapped for cash. After all, if people are talking about £4-5000 for the bike and a season of eight races, that's quite a chunk for an individual to find, but a syndicate of four people could share that and each compete in one round. Obviously no chance of winning owt, but getting a taste all the same.

Then I thought, well would you want to go to all that expense, plus the admin hassle of getting ACU qualified with your classroom and license, just for a day's sport?

Doesn't really seem any way round it, even cheap racing is expensive.

Monty 21-Dec-2004 10:28

Thanks Jools, very well put-however there is nothing to stop a syndicate of members putting a bike together if they want-but if you all share the riding you blow your championship points. Points are awarded to the rider not the bike or team.
You can however get a lot of satisfaction building a bike for someone else to ride-especially if they are faster than you-as I well know.

John