Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Race (/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Bike Racing Pic Taking - Hints & Tips? (/showthread.php?t=73942)

Guido 02-Apr-2008 21:27

Bike Racing Pic Taking - Hints & Tips?

I've been asked if I would offer advice or help on taking photographs of bikes (I guess in light of the recent DD round at Mallory where lots of different people have taken cameras along to the round and captured the action).

Although I may appear vocal on the board/s (internet anonimity confidence etc), I am quite shy and would not post a photography tips thread just cos "I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt etc" for fear of appearing big-headed or arrogant, which the fact I'm not at BSB this year proves I'm not.

I'm more than happy to help out "family" if any of my experiences can be of use to anyone.

If it's something you want me to do then let me know and I'll offer advice where I can.

(please note the request was not because any detrimental views were expressed about any of the photos that have been posted, it was more cos I've done it at a higher level and might be able to help if peeps are shyer than me in asking)

Regards, Guy

Rattler 02-Apr-2008 21:35

Big 'ed ;) - nice one!!

Jasper 02-Apr-2008 21:50

Why no BSB this year,Guy?

JPM 02-Apr-2008 22:06

You know I'd love to know how to use my camera, maybe when you're up we can talk although I'll be racing not snapping

Iconic944ss 02-Apr-2008 23:07

How to choose location at a circuit is certainly one I need help with.

+ how to get good 'mood' shots as well ;)

Did I really just say that?

Cheers - Frank

Gbyte666 03-Apr-2008 01:33

You are the Track day Photo God Guy.

Craig

monstermob 998 03-Apr-2008 01:54

advice and criticism would be most welcome Guy, i'd like to pick your brains concerning filters, if i may

Guido 03-Apr-2008 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper
Why no BSB this year,Guy?

In short Rich, I can't cover my costs (costs=finanical outlay, time spent at meetings, time spent uploading shots to mags and editing, personal sacrifices like being away from home 14 weekends in the summer, couple all that to people earning from my work/efforts but refusing to pay and I have kind of become disollusioned with it all)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic944ss
How to choose location at a circuit is certainly one I need help with.

+ how to get good 'mood' shots as well ;)

Did I really just say that?

Cheers - Frank

Will try and cover this in my lesson/s Frank (did I really just say that??? LOL!!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbyte666
You are the Track day Photo God Guy.

Craig

Thank you Craig, genuinely touched.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPM
You know I'd love to know how to use my camera, maybe when you're up we can talk although I'll be racing not snapping

Night before Oulton Jon, it's a date :) I'll bring the plonk

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstermob 998
advice and criticism would be most welcome Guy, i'd like to pick your brains concerning filters, if i may

Never used filters MM998 except circular polarisers when there's a lot of glare so might not be able to help too much here.

Guido 03-Apr-2008 16:35

Ok folks,

I've put together some pointers as to the steps I follow ( and lengths I've undertaken) in order to hone my trade.

There's some basic 'suck-egg' photography in here but you'd be amazed by some of the questions I get asked that prove not everything is simple or fully understood by all those with cameras.

It's a real skim of the surface, as to put over 25yrs of photo taking into a few slides is pretty difficult.

These steps are some of what I do. It is "skim of the surface" because how I get the shots is largely down to my own hard work, blood, sweat and effort and I'm not about to divulge everything on a public forum when I struggle to make a go of it now without giving all of my secrets away too.

When you read this stuff and the work and thought that goes into what I do, you can probably understand why I get so insulted and disollusioned when someone wants me to give my pics away as though saying "it's easy so why should I pay you".

I'm a perfectionist so what I do won't apply to all I'm sure, but it'll give you something to think about that might just improve your output.

As I've said in the pages, Photography is a thinking man's game.......so it's not just down to hints and tips although I'm sure they help.

Please contact me if you have any queries at all, and I'll try and help where I can.

Happy reading :)

Guy

Lesson 1

Lesson 2

Lesson 3 - part 1

Lesson 3 - part 2

Lesson 3 - part 3

Lesson 3 - part 4

Lesson 4

Lesson 5

TP 03-Apr-2008 20:46

That's very generous of you Guy, nice one and thanks. :)