Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Rear Hub removal (/showthread.php?t=9883)

martins 28-Aug-2004 19:22

Rear Hub removal

Prior to fitting a quick change carrier-(Neil Stedman has offered to post me details of how to fit the carrier-appreciated) I went into the garage to remove the rear hub for polishing, but the retaining bolts keep going around, how do you stop them from rotating in order to remove the nuts to get the Hub off?

Help appreciated

desmojen 28-Aug-2004 19:28

You take the big nut off at the front and then take off the sprocket/carrier as a oner. Then you will see a large allen key in the back of each cush drive to hold while you undo the nut.

martins 28-Aug-2004 19:35

Rear hub removal

Sorry to be thick, do I need to remove the chain?

desmojen 28-Aug-2004 20:15

Lol, don't worry, I'm no einstein either!
The chain will come off when you take out the sprocket, you don't have to take it right off the bike though.

Mr_S 28-Aug-2004 20:55

Have a look at the file here, it's the one I used and it's well written.

I'd recommend reading it through first though, as the allen key needed to remove the cush rubbers isn't mentioned in the tool list (12mm IIRC)

http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/down...ch_id=177?Cat=

Jason

martins 28-Aug-2004 22:02

Rear Hub Removal

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your help.

I have never been one to do my own bike work, but as I am now over 40 I thought it is about time I had a go, a bit scarry but I am determined to fit my own quick change carrier.

all I need to ask you now the the size of the large Hub nut?, so I can pop around to borry from my mates Snap on Tool box!, I have the 46mm for the wheel I even have a torque wench!-all of my own!

Mr_S 28-Aug-2004 23:36

41mm then is what you'll be needing. If you can borrow one with the shoulders machined down you're less likely to slip off the nut as it's quite shallow.