Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   General Motorcycles only (/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Melting Carbon? (/showthread.php?t=28717)

david.hicks 28-Mar-2006 18:15

Melting Carbon?

I know this is a stupid question but I finally got round to fitting the Corsa carbon heel guards that I bought from Nattyboy and the right-hand side one is touching the exhaust - will it melt? Do I need to put a couple of washers in as spacers to move it away from the frame a bit? Any idea how much clearance I need?

Cheers

Dave

dukess1999 28-Mar-2006 18:22

The carbon won't melt but the lacquer will, and go a nasty brown colour. I think as long as it's not touching the link pipe you should be fine.

Jools 28-Mar-2006 18:23

Hmmm...good question.

Carbon fibre is resinous like glassfibre. I've got an old trials bike where the exhaust runs directly under a glassfibre tank/seat cover and that's OK, and if you think about it thay make carbon cans (although the gases have got a bit of volume to cool a bit).

Don't think it will melt, but it may well discolour and go a nasty brown colour - I'd space it if I were you

keefer 28-Mar-2006 19:54

they will go brown.
I have some corse guards of a race bike and they are a tad scorched where they have been next to a huge exhaust.
space them out doesn't need to be much just as long as they do not touch.
a mm should do

rcgbob44 29-Mar-2006 22:58

Mine don`t touch the exhaust at all ?????????????

Carbon749 30-Mar-2006 19:38

Carbon won't melt or burn, but, the resin used in costruction will discolour and eventually burn when it gets hot enough. Just make sure you have an air gap of 2mm ish and all will be fine.