Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   no air box (/showthread.php?t=156713)

bally71 10-Oct-2012 16:32

no air box

thinking of ditching the airbox ..

i've seen a few of you out there with filters on instead .. any recommendations?

is there a downside?

Spjallen 11-Oct-2012 09:07

Think I'm going to have a do with this too - or maybe just the top of the air box so I can still house the K and N. Took the trumpets out for the last two races and the bike was dragging in more air - induction.

bradders 11-Oct-2012 11:32

lid off as a minimum!! With high liuft s,tage 2 filter of some form

Think most of the front guys have junked their airbox and use pod filters and none so far seem to have what I was worried about; water in wet races affected it. Think many will have fitted some form of deflector to the front of the frame so you dont get direct flow in one pot and disturbed air in the other

see skids, I was listening ;) :lol:

bally71 11-Oct-2012 12:17

ooooooooo .. direct flow and disturbed air !!! wassall that about then?

anyone tried a ram air type system?

was half considering just having open inlets

bradders 11-Oct-2012 13:27

one trumpet points forward, one up, so airflow isnt consistent....I think :puzzled:

SeeleyG50 11-Oct-2012 14:34

IMHO: There is only likely to be one 'gain' in junking the complete airbox and that is the weight saving. You are extremely unlikely to make any performance gains sticking filters in the end of the inlets. Most 'Classic Racers' dream of still air boxes/plenum chambers. Get it built properly and a 620 will do 65bhp with the air box (lid cut open and foam filtering place) fitted!

bradders 11-Oct-2012 15:00

mine made nearly 64 with it on, just open lid and good filter. Only reason I wanted to was makes access easier and wanted to fit different tank

dunlop0_1 11-Oct-2012 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeleyG50
IMHO: There is only likely to be one 'gain' in junking the complete airbox and that is the weight saving. You are extremely unlikely to make any performance gains sticking filters in the end of the inlets. Most 'Classic Racers' dream of still air boxes/plenum chambers. Get it built properly and a 620 will do 65bhp with the air box (lid cut open and foam filtering place) fitted!

Ditto, if memory serves about 1.6kgs :D

bally71 12-Oct-2012 07:24

at the moment its lid off with no filter.

i didn't expect to get any extra horsies .. just want to lose the weight and gain some space

bally71 12-Oct-2012 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spjallen
Think I'm going to have a do with this too - or maybe just the top of the air box so I can still house the K and N. Took the trumpets out for the last two races and the bike was dragging in more air - induction.

definately take the lid off .. makes a big difference