Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Compression (/showthread.php?t=309404)

coppersaucepipe 07-May-2014 21:37

Compression

What should the compression be on a good class B bike? I've got 9 bar on the front and a smidge over 7 on the rear on the engine in the bike. My spare measured at a smidge over 9 on the front and 9.5 on the rear.

skidlids 07-May-2014 22:56

7 bar is to low
where as 9 to 10 bar isn't bad

milesaway 08-May-2014 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by coppersaucepipe
What should the compression be on a good class B bike? I've got 9 bar on the front and a smidge over 7 on the rear on the engine in the bike. My spare measured at a smidge over 9 on the front and 9.5 on the rear.

mine gives over 9 on both- is it the cyl you were pouring neat petrol down that's low? check yr valves first but if it's the flooded one you probably washed off oil and damaged rings/bore- shame its not front as 10 times easier to pull off and investigate

coppersaucepipe 08-May-2014 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by milesaway
mine gives over 9 on both- is it the cyl you were pouring neat petrol down that's low? check yr valves first but if it's the flooded one you probably washed off oil and damaged rings/bore- shame its not front as 10 times easier to pull off and investigate

It is the flooded rear cylinder. I'll drop the spare engine in for Anglesey and have the current engine apart on the bench I think. It hydrolic locked at one point, so I'm guessing I may have damaged something then if it wasn't already low.

bally71 12-May-2014 15:52

Measured mine yesterday

6 bar front
6.5 bar rear

LOL .. Think it's time I swapped that engine

milesaway 12-May-2014 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by bally71
Measured mine yesterday

6 bar front
6.5 bar rear

LOL .. Think it's time I swapped that engine

worth checking valves first- if clearances are out enough can loose compression- if they are its as easy to pull off the heads then you can grind them in before you set clearances and can check state of bores and measure rings at the same time

mat2hew 16-May-2014 11:05

Quote:

worth checking valves first- if clearances are out enough can loose compression- if they are its as easy to pull off the heads then you can grind them in before you set clearances and can check state of bores and measure rings at the same time

or its even easier to get miles to do it for you.. :)

milesaway 16-May-2014 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mat2hew
or its even easier to get miles to do it for you.. :)

tell you what matt- the money people seem to charge for doing such things i'm beginning to wonder if carpentry isn't the wrong business to be in!

Ghost 16-May-2014 22:29

Quote:

tell you what matt- the money people seem to charge for doing such things i'm beginning to wonder if carpentry isn't the wrong business to be in!

Its not what people are charging Miles it's the daft buggers paying the elevated prices. One could be busy working for nothing but sensible fees should apply. :D

bally71 18-May-2014 15:09

Quote:

cheers miles .. but I've planned to change the motor anyway

Nice fresh motor .. should be all up and running ready for Donington

Can't wait .. the old motor was only making 50 odd horses ... I won't be able to control the thing with an extra 10 .... :eek: