Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   916 Oil leak (/showthread.php?t=36391)

CipiVTS 17-Sep-2006 07:52

916 Oil leak

Hi all,

I noticed a few days a ago that oil is dripping from the bottom of the engine to the exhaust pipe. I tracked the source and it's around the area where the oil cooler lines are attached to the crankcase. Are these lines known for having this problem? The strange thing is that the oil lines are clean (even the connectors), the oil is on the crankcase!

Can i replace them? Can you point to an online store from where i can buy them?
What are the parts i have to replace?

Thanks and regards

nelly 17-Sep-2006 19:27

There are a couple of points were you can get a leak around there. Not common but it happens.
The two bosses that the hoses screw onto. Check they are tight. If need be, take them out, ptfe tape the threads and refit.
Check the hoses are secure on the bosses. Again, ptfe tape on the threads helps.
Also check it's not coming from higher up. O-ring on the oil filler cap and the oil pressure sensor.

mikesps 18-Sep-2006 02:42

The early hose fittings quite often cracked. People would see a small leak and tighten them up which just made it crack more.

yeti 18-Sep-2006 10:03

Had this recently on the RS. Repalced the cheese alloy hoses with good old steel jobs and the things still leaked. Turned out to be the oil cooler in the end. Leaking between the top two galleries!

khushy 18-Sep-2006 11:16

I had a leak on my old bike - turned out to be a copper washer on one of the fittings - a 2 minute job and an easy fix.

I would try that first.

Khushy

CipiVTS 22-Sep-2006 07:57

I'll check the washer 1st, happen to me on a brake hose as well and it was the tiny copper thing.

Thanks