Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Shaking it's head! (/showthread.php?t=21573)

pibbow 07-Sep-2005 19:45

Shaking it\'s head!

HELP!!! as some of you will no I don't get out much, so you can only imagine how uterly pi??d off I was last thursday. I was gien a day pass and headed to the mainland for a blast 20 mlies in I sat up slightly at around 50mph to wiggle some blood back into my hands as I did the bike started to shake its head. I tried it again at 60 and all was well until the speed dropped to around 55 then it did it again so rather than just grab the bars I just hovered with my hands just above. The shake got worse then fell away below 50. Now I know what your going to say "why take your hands off the bars at speed" Well I don't make a habit of it but I have never had this before. Anyone have an idea of the cause.

[Edited on 7-9-2005 by pibbow]

sparkin 07-Sep-2005 19:52

Might be obvious,but have you checked your tyre pressures?

pibbow 07-Sep-2005 19:53

Yes mate first thing I did they were spot on :puzzled:

Rob B 07-Sep-2005 19:56

Tyre wear? On one of my bikes if my fronts wear E.g. the tread gets uneven across the leading/trailing edge of the cuts, it'll do exactly what you describe.

Rgds, Rob

sparkin 07-Sep-2005 19:58

Ok,bent wheel?poorly seated tyre?

Dave G 07-Sep-2005 20:01

Check if the tyre balance weights might have come off too.

pibbow 07-Sep-2005 20:02

Well The tyre has done about 2000 miles but it has not shark's toothed yet but I will have another look tomorrow. I have the bike up on paddock stands and have spunn the weel and both it and the tyre seem spot on?

pibbow 07-Sep-2005 20:04

Thank's dave there are some on but I will have a close look to see if any have gone astray.

ericthered40 07-Sep-2005 20:13

Quote:

Originally posted by pibbow
HELP!!! as some of you will no I don't get out much, so you can only imagine how uterly pi??d off I was last thursday. I was gien a day pass and headed to the mainland for a blast 20 mlies in I sat up slightly at around 50mph to wiggle some blood back into my hands as I did the bike started to shake its head. I tried it again at 60 and all was well until the speed dropped to around 55 then it did it again so rather than just grab the bars I just hovered with my hands just above. The shake got worse then fell away below 50. Now I know what your going to say "why take your hands off the bars at speed" Well I don't make a habit of it but I have never had this before. Anyone have an idea of the cause.

[Edited on 7-9-2005 by pibbow]

Could it be Tire, wear or balancing, head race bearings or brake calliper sticking. look at the wheel bearings to?

:puzzled:

[Edited on 7-9-2005 by ericthered40]

phil_h 07-Sep-2005 22:32

It sounds like the steering head bearings are starting to wear.
Too many wheelies mate :lol: