Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Redex: How Much to Use in 3/4 of a Tank? (/showthread.php?t=29678)

zhed44 21-Apr-2006 19:41

Redex: How Much to Use in 3/4 of a Tank?

You may have seen my other "Won't Rev Past 7000rpm" post, which the consensus of opinion seems to be is due to fuel starvation due to a blocked filter.

I have some Redex lying about somewhere.

Just wondering if this might help a little, until I can get round to fitting the new filter.

If so, how much should I use?

Thanks

twpd 21-Apr-2006 19:43

Errrrrr...no. I wouldn't use it at all tbh. Snake oil - try the things that were suggested first.

dst1 21-Apr-2006 19:44

Sorry my friend but I wouldnt touch the stuff.
Stick it in your old Ford but not your Duke, thats just my opinion.

rockhopper 21-Apr-2006 19:59

Change the filter. If you don't then the next thing to fail will be the regulator.

zhed44 21-Apr-2006 20:05

The filter is on its way, but I'm having to keep using the bike in the meantime as I only just discovered 3 days ago that my Bandit's MOT and tax ran out in March :(

As soon as it arrives, it will be fitted.

On that point, is there anything I should be aware of when changing the filter (apart from put your fag out)? Is it just as described in Haynes, or is there anything they've missed out?

Bungi 22-Apr-2006 00:45

its a pretty straight forward job, can be a bit tricky sometimes getting the pump assembly back into the tank, what with the sealing ring jumping out of place, i use some vaselene and if it puts up a fight run a cable tie round the circumferance to keep it in place while it slots in, then remove the tie of course

raykay748R 22-Apr-2006 10:33

Yeah ditto bungi's remarks, careful with the seal putting it in, if you trap it then it'll split, and the first you'll know of it is when you come to re-fill the tank, cos your feet will suddenly be all wet and your airbox full of fuel. Don't ask me how I know please!! It's embarrassing and I'm a professional. Don't know what at sometimes!!! :(

zhed44 22-Apr-2006 13:38

Sorry to be a bit of a numpty, but do i need to drain the tank? :rolleye:

raykay748R 22-Apr-2006 19:22

When you remove the tank you'll notice the drain plug, allen key needed here. Don't worry the tank is connected to the rest of the fuel system via 2 self sealing QR couplings. ;)

rxtim 22-Apr-2006 20:12

You may want to get the o-rings that seal the couplings though.
And the one for the fuel pump assembly.
Petrol dripping down a hot engine is a bit worrying!