Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Discs (/showthread.php?t=24390)

andya 23-Nov-2005 22:42

Discs

Hi
Is there any way of removing the front discs on my Strada from the disc centres. The reason for this is to repaint the centres as it they have some rust spots on them, and as the discs are hardly worn I didnt want to buy new discs.

Cheers
Andy:puzzled:

Jasper 24-Nov-2005 01:27

You can drill out the bobbins and then replace the bobbins with full floating items.

[Edited on 24-11-2005 by Jasper]

Charlie 24-Nov-2005 09:18

Floating Discs

Speaking about floating discs anyone know if there should be ..any/none....free/play in the direction of rotation?

TIA

yeti 24-Nov-2005 09:50

Quote:

Originally posted by Charlie
Speaking about floating discs anyone know if there should be ..any/none....free/play in the direction of rotation?

TIA

In principle NO. However, I have been running the "S" on track all season with a small amount of radial float. Intention was to junk the discs at the end of the season. Unfortunately it's the carrier that wears so there's nothing you can do about it.

Jools 24-Nov-2005 12:55

Numpty question...what advantage do fully floatings discs give you?

My standard disc set up on the ST gives me phenomenal stoppers especially now that they're grabbed by P34 calipers.

I need to sort the sponginess of the brakes on my 888, but that's more to do with the master cylinder. Once that's sorted and with some Bendix pads in the calipers I should think they'll be damn near as good.

Can't quite see the need for full floaters, but if anyone can enlighten me?

Jasper 24-Nov-2005 13:11

Basically it stops them warping when they get extremely hot,this is because there is room for the disc to expand on the bobbins.If there was no space at all to expand they would warp immediately.All discs are semi-floating,just that fully floating allows more expansion.

Charlie 24-Nov-2005 18:17

In principle NO. However, I have been running the "S" on track all season with a small amount of radial float. Intention was to junk the discs at the end of the season. Unfortunately it's the carrier that wears so there's nothing you can do about it. [/quote]

Hmmm… thanks for that Yeti, I will have to have a closer inspection I’m sure I can make 2 or 3 mm back/forth movement in line with the discs rotational direction.

andya 25-Nov-2005 13:28

Jasper, where can I get new bobbins?

Rushjob 25-Nov-2005 13:31

I got mine from Nelly at Cornerspeed - genuine Brembo ones.

andya 25-Nov-2005 15:12

How easy are they to fit?