Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers! (/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   You said HOW much?! (/showthread.php?t=24613)

tranquil_rage 01-Dec-2005 15:46

You said HOW much?!

Well I came to re-insure my Ducati Monster 600 today. I've only just passed my test a year ago but have 3 years no claims. I'm 21 at the moment.

Down south in Southampton where I lived until coming to university I was paying £420 third party only. High but payable. That was with only 2 years no claims and a recent pass on my license.

Now with 3 years no claims and living in Glasgow third party only has shot up to £850! Thats the lowest I could find from a dozen insurers.

Why is third party only effected so much by location? I can see the reasoning behind theft being location based but why this.

Basically I cannot afford to own a bike in Glasgow, which is really going to hurt me in terms of commuting and enjoyment.

Sorry for the rant but this one really ticked me off.

antonye 01-Dec-2005 15:51

Have you tried Ducati Insurance? Discount for club members and it's only £25 to join so you could easily save more than your membership cost, many times over!

http://www.ducatiinsurance.co.uk/

ScottyB 01-Dec-2005 15:57

I second Antonye.

No NCB and a history on my license where points really do make prizes....

TPFT on a 749 dark last year £475!!!

I am in Stirling not far from Glasgow

Give them a call..........

tranquil_rage 01-Dec-2005 16:07

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried Ducati Insurance and they quoted me £724, about a £100 less than the rest but still quite a lot.

I'm going to ring round and try and get it a bit lower by playing them off each other.

Another thought is that I will only be living in this high risk area for 5 months before I move back permanently. Hopefully this will be able to push it a bit lower, if not I'll try and get quotes for a 6 month policy.

ST4 01-Dec-2005 16:35

I was ringing around for car quotes and i found that TPO was more epxensive than TPFT!! Also fully comp was only about 15% more expensive than TPFT. I think they are trying to get people to buy fully comp insurance by pushing up the prices of the alternatives.

tranquil_rage 01-Dec-2005 16:40

I did try TPFT as well but that was on the wrong side of £1500!

ScottyB 01-Dec-2005 16:58

Tranquil,

Not strictly legit this but how about leaving the bike registered at your other less expensive address?????

As you say you are only up here for 5 months then why go through the hassle??

If you have to claim god forbid you were up here visiting;)

Makes sense mate just do it!!!!

You're not a copper are you:P

TP 01-Dec-2005 17:00

Try Laxtons Insurance - they were a lot cheaper for me than Ducati Insurance.

JPM 01-Dec-2005 17:01

H&R for me, cheaper than Ducati Insurance and in Scotland too

tranquil_rage 01-Dec-2005 17:28

BRILLIANT JPM!

You just saved me a bomb! :sing:

Third Party from H&R, £500. Nice but still a bit steep.

TPFT from H&R £520, EXCELLENT!

Thanks to everyone whos helped out here.

ChrisBushell 01-Dec-2005 17:36

So you will be joining the Club now then?

AK 01-Dec-2005 17:37

Glad H& R sorted you out ok, thats who my daughter used for her bikes from 16 - 20, cos they did by far the best deal for under 25's:)

tranquil_rage 01-Dec-2005 17:49

Yes I will be joining the club. I've wanted to since I found out a couple of months ago.

The problem has been finances and the fact that I havn't been riding my Ducati since September. University, especially my first term, is a real drain on the bank balance.

After X-mas I'll be joining up and back on the Monster! :burn:

JPM 01-Dec-2005 17:50

No problem glad to be of help...

Quote:

Originally posted by AK and CK
cos they did by far the best deal for under 25's:)

That's me! :D

philthy 01-Dec-2005 18:13

Don't you just love a story with a happy ending!:D:D

AK 01-Dec-2005 18:16

Quote:

Originally posted by JPM

Quote:

excuse me???:o:o

fibber!:P

:lol:

Herb 02-Dec-2005 09:23

I followed ScottyB's advise back when I was a student. I left my bike insured at my parents address and as far as the insurance people were concerned it was also garaged in a rural area.

Kept me in the clear when I had a producer, fortunately I never had to make a claim.

Dibble 02-Dec-2005 09:57

Tranquil,

When getting this years quotes have you gone from being a college student to a university one on the proposal form ??

The reason being all jobs are graded, much the same was as post codes and vehicle, Uni Students are in the top bracket as they are responsible for a huge number of claims and cost the insurance industry a small fortune ....

That may also explain the increas as a lot of companies won't even cover them, thereby further reducing the market and increasing the premium.

bullitt 02-Dec-2005 12:45

Hi

I would agree with AK & CK – H&R seem to be cheap for u 25’s.

I was insured with them for the first 2 years I had my 748 then Ducati Insurance last year. However, I’ve just renewed my insurance with Red Star through Confused.com.

With the bike kept at a location away from home in a garage with alarm and immobiliser on the bike – TPFT is £229 (Bike is a 52 plate 748s and I’m 26 with 3yr NCD).

H&R and Ducati Insurance were almost twice this….

Not bad I think

Cheers!

BDG 02-Dec-2005 13:29

Quote:

Originally posted by JPM

Quote:

My lie detector has just gone off the scale and exploded

JPM 02-Dec-2005 13:39

Next you'll be telling me you have hair ;)

tranquil_rage 02-Dec-2005 17:38

Dibble:

I hadn't thought of the change in occupation. I've been out of college for 2 years now working as Support Analyst for a computer software company. I'm guessing that this probably had something to do with it as well.

mucka749 02-Dec-2005 18:59

shall i tell you what 9points,1years ncb and at the age 26 gets ya...you all sitting down well its just over a £1000 tpft:mad: ive just got to get through next summer and they all come off with the last 3pts 1st jan 2007,cant wait to see the difference then.

Martinp 03-Dec-2005 18:53

Try jacking up your excess to something silly like £2000 on fully comp or tpft it does work I used to do it on my bandit and I am simular age to you mate.

My 2p

berto 03-Dec-2005 18:57

Call Ducati insurance back and ask to speak to Liz or Hayley....

tranquil_rage 04-Dec-2005 23:33

MartinP:

If I did that the whole fire/theft part of it would be pointless. I can get third party only for a bit less, I want the assurance that theft cover gives me while living in Glasgow.

djb 19-Jan-2006 00:44

Tranquil

Could try Access Underwriting - almost halfed my premium for C London and will let me have Termis when no-one else would. Seemed to know all about Dukes too......

t: 08702 412214 (Steve Blake):bouncy:

weeian 19-Jan-2006 00:51

i live in Glasgow with a 749s, Fully comp = £800 on the nose !! when i got that policy i was 24 with no NCB and first bike with Equity Red Star

/ian