Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   C Spanner (/showthread.php?t=30758)

Trig 17-May-2006 17:54

C Spanner

Please can anyone give me the details of a C spanner that will make adjustment of the pre-load on the rear shock easy?
Thanks.

khushy 17-May-2006 17:57

LOL!!!

You need to take the shock out to adjust the pre-load as its too tight to get to in-situ.

Not impossible to take out without removing the exhaust, but VERY fiddly - I am going to remove mine next month and add the hydaulic perload adjuster (c£100) to make in-situ life easy.

The C Spanner - should be in your toolkit.

Khushy

bike mad 17-May-2006 18:06

do you have a web site for the hydaulic perload adjuster,
it sounds a good ider

khushy 17-May-2006 18:18

its a standard Ohlins item - maybe www.ohlins.com??

khushy 17-May-2006 18:20

a picture

1 Attachment(s)
here you go!

Gizmo 17-May-2006 18:31

you can get a thin c spanner from Harris performance, its the genuine Ohlins one and ain't too badly priced, get 2 and you can lever against each other to loosen the top nut and it is possible to adjust pre-load with them but be prepared for scraped kuckles. I haven't bothered with the hydo unit, its expensive and heavy its only 4 bolts to drop the shock out so easy to do if you do feel the need to mess about with it. I have an extra heavier spring just in case I convert to bip rather than using preload, it don't take long to do. Using the hydro means you need a spring compressor to swap springs as well :(

antonye 17-May-2006 19:31

Lol, there's progress for you - taking the shock out to adjust it!! :lol:

900MAN 17-May-2006 22:10

Cant I just use a hammer and drift?

Trig 17-May-2006 22:56

Yes Steve I am sure you can but if someone knows a better way then i am all ears:)

It is a Showa on my bike so presumably Ohlins tools won't work and I didn't get a C spanner for the shock in the tool kit.

I really don't want to take the shock out. Antony what was the spanner that Mark was talking about? I have seen the type that suit various sizes but I think he was talking about something different.:puzzled:

Gizmo 18-May-2006 08:46

I think the ohlins tool does work with a showa, the coil spring OD is the same so the chances are the top nuts are similar, I'll check when Dseered brings his bike up on Sunday but I'm sure I used those spanners to set his up.

you can get adjustable c spanners but they'll be big, try M and P or Busters, the ohlins one is the thinnest and slimmest I could find and for the price you could always hacksaw a bit off the end if its too long. I'll let you know on Monday if it fits.

Or give K tech a call, they are the Showa importer and might have a similar spanner....