Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   General Motorcycles only (/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   620/800 instrument panels ? (/showthread.php?t=25259)

phil_h 23-Dec-2005 11:02

620/800 instrument panels ?

Anyone got any more info on this ?
Quote:

The reason I am doing this is because the bike has an integrated instrument panel, ECU and ignition key/lock which are coded together. The bike cannot be run without the original instrument panel which, means I cannot use a race item. If the std item gets mashed in a crash then I'm snookered and can't start or use the bike until a new item is purchased and then coded to match the existing items

skidlids 23-Dec-2005 12:12

Other than the real solution is to spend out on a FIM unit but still trying various things on my 620

AK 23-Dec-2005 12:23

Phil, the way I understand it is: if you have to get the clocks replaced (like under warranty etc) you have to take your existing key (red) to be re-programmed to the new clocks.
It is worth looking for a set of replacement clocks, to keep as 'spares' for just in case.....??

Otherwise, use the keys with that ignition only, as coded to it:(

I could, as usual be totally talking out of my backside tho:lol:

C

NBs996 23-Dec-2005 12:29

The immobiliser function is just a chip on the circuit board. So hows about... just buy some second hand clocks and in the event of smashing them up just swap the internals over.

Or just disable the immobilier!

ericthered40 23-Dec-2005 14:00

wanted spare 620 clocks set :o

twpd 23-Dec-2005 14:30

Quote:

Originally posted by NBs996
The immobiliser function is just a chip on the circuit board. So hows about... just buy some second hand clocks and in the event of smashing them up just swap the internals over.

Or just disable the immobilier!

As an electronics engineer I can tell you now that trying to remove a surface mount ic inevitably ends in tears when using a soldering iron or even one with the right solder bit on it. You need to have the right gear otherwise the heat will kill the ic.

Believe me, I've spent lots of effort on this and, as Kev says, the answer is an FIM unit. On my circuit board at least all the indentifying numbers of the ic's have been removed so, even identifying the correct ic is very difficult. I wrote to Marelli and Ducati asking for service info and circuit diagrams but, got no reply at all.

twpd 23-Dec-2005 14:32

Quote:

Originally posted by AK and CK
Phil, the way I understand it is: if you have to get the clocks replaced (like under warranty etc) you have to take your existing key (red) to be re-programmed to the new clocks.
It is worth looking for a set of replacement clocks, to keep as 'spares' for just in case.....??

Otherwise, use the keys with that ignition only, as coded to it:(

I could, as usual be totally talking out of my backside tho:lol:

C

That's about the top & bottom of it. I'm going to try an experiment with my 2 SS bikes insofar as I am going to put the new bikes clocks on the old bike and see what happens. According the to info I have from John Hackett some bikes will run like this, some won't but, it's a lottery.

NBs996 23-Dec-2005 15:35

twpd... I was thinking of just swapping the whole board rather than trying to take a component off it.
I've had mine apart but can't remember if the board just unplugs or is hard wired to something.

I'd like to try'n disable the immobiliser but it aint my bike!

twpd 23-Dec-2005 15:49

Sorry mate I misread you. Well mine is a plug & play unit - the harness just plugs into it. What I am going to do is rehouse it in a steel box under the seat.

butch890 23-Dec-2005 15:56

From what i understand the codeing isnt activated untill yoiu start the bike using the red key.
We fitted a new clock to Daves bike after his off and it started with no problems.
Butch