Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Sticky Stuff... (/showthread.php?t=5083)

Mr Nick 31-Jan-2004 20:04

Sticky Stuff...

Can anybody recommend a brand of double sided sticky tape that is suitable for use on carbon bits and bobs?

I've got a key guard that I want to refit to my bike but the old sticky bits are beyond reasonable service but all the tapes I've come across have been too lightweight or to thick.

Jon 31-Jan-2004 21:30

Nick, you can always try mirror sticky tabs or double sided carpet tape.

Felix 31-Jan-2004 21:51

Oridnary silikone sealant works a treat.

antonye 31-Jan-2004 23:48

Hadn't thought of silicon sealant - that's a really good idea!

A couple of blobs of hot glue works a treat for me and it doesn't pull the paint off with it either!

It also goes really flat too, so you won't get a gap like you do with sticky pads.

Mr Nick 31-Jan-2004 23:53

I've tried the carpet tape - B&Qs own brand though and it was bobbins. Tried sticky pads and they were to thick and left a gap between the carbon and the tank. I was after something like the stuff you get on tank protectors but I may have a stab at the silicone. I guess it comes off easy enough if it all goes tits up??

chris.p 01-Feb-2004 09:48

Clear Silicon Sealant every time, easy to put on, little or no raised edges, unlike sticky tabs, easy to position when putting on, easy removel of excess silicon & when you want to remove ir, easy to get off & clean up.;)

Chris. :roll:

Dazza 01-Feb-2004 12:28

What do you clean silicone sealant off with, from paintwork, with out damaginng the paintwork then?
chhers.

Mark853 01-Feb-2004 15:37

will be difficult, i use silicone but only on things you never want to get off again e.g. a carbon tank pad. It does work well though.

Dazza 01-Feb-2004 16:27

chris.p says its easy to get off...

andyb 01-Feb-2004 20:46

I used black silicone sealer. Coat the item you are mounting even and attach it in place .
i then used lengths of masking tape to pull it to where it needed to be. When this sets you can clean up the edge with your thumb nail etc