Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 16-Apr-2009, 21:07
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
I don't think I really care which tyre we're on, as long as they are all the same, I'd rather not have a choice because then some people will probably pick the worst one, but if all bikes have the same tyre what does it matter if its 0.1 second faster or slower than another.

I really don't want the option of wets and slicks they don't last long and they cost alot, and gives loads of choice of different compounds, and I'd hate to pick the wrong tyre and come last, or crash!

perhaps there should be a vote for everyone and whatever the outcome thats the tyre we all use.

Mat72hew
Old 16-Apr-2009, 21:32
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
I don't think I really care which tyre we're on, as long as they are all the same, I'd rather not have a choice because then some people will probably pick the worst one, but if all bikes have the same tyre what does it matter if its 0.1 second faster or slower than another.

I really don't want the option of wets and slicks they don't last long and they cost alot, and gives loads of choice of different compounds, and I'd hate to pick the wrong tyre and come last, or crash!

perhaps there should be a vote for everyone and whatever the outcome thats the tyre we all use.

Mat72hew
I certainly do care which tyre I'm at ease with and so do a lot of others. We have the same now but can you get them from any outlet of your choice? No that is why the price is high.

We will have a control tyre but lets have a Z rated be it 2ct or Rosso, but lets have a riders referendum on it, rather than be told thats what your using.
Old 16-Apr-2009, 22:13
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
A lot of others are at ease with the H rated Diablos, just as many were last year, just as Pirelli are at ease with us suing them which is why they have issued a letter of suitability for them, yet they would not issue one for the Z rated Diablo Rosso's
Obviously all the super fast lap record braking vastly experienced racers in the DD paddock know more about tyre suitability than Pirelli, after all what do Pirelli know, its not as if theire tyres get used for any other form of motorcyle racing. Maybe if they were used in WSB, WSS, BSB, BSS, IOM TT or even NGRRC Streetstocks they would have more of a clue.

Come on own up, who has crashed because they out rode the H rated Diablos, Mutley748 who raced on them at Dopnington for the first time and got down to two minute laps on his class B bike with a slipping clutch thought they were really well suited to the bike.

As for voting on tyre choice, its a little bit more complicated than that with suitability and liability unless wets and warmers are included

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 16-Apr-2009, 23:06
500SD

Last year i used part worns all season and got mine in the top 10 in the championship
Just wish the price was a little easier on the wallet.

It wouldn't suprise me if holbeach start charging £200 for a pair mid season!

Last edited by Imola Duke : 16-Apr-2009 at 23:17.
Old 16-Apr-2009, 23:43
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Last year I could exchanged £100 for 140 Euros, now I'll get about 110
Last year a 1098R could have been had for £24k now expect to pay nearer to £30k.
Based on the exchange rates the Diablos we paid £140 for last year should be costing us around £168 this year, so Holbeach doing them at £160 is in fact a better deal than last year, its not their fault there is a recession on and we all have a little less money to spare.
Still at least Diesel is still cheaper than at one point last year and doesn't appear a factor in people driving over to Angelsey to do a trackday that probably cost more than it did last year, so they cam wear out some tyres that can barely afford

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 16-Apr-2009, 23:56
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
AAAGGGGHHHHH....

Lets get Geoff, Cobby, Dom, Kyle, Phil,Andy, Matt to tell us what they think of the Diablos?

Seemed to go alright?
Old 17-Apr-2009, 00:03
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Last year a 1098R could have been had for £24k now expect to pay nearer to £30k.
Based on the exchange rates the Diablos we paid £140 for last year should be costing us around £168 this year, so Holbeach doing them at £160 is in fact a better deal than last year, its not their fault there is a recession on and we all have a little less money to spare.
Still at least Diesel is still cheaper than at one point last year and doesn't appear a factor in people driving over to Angelsey to do a trackday that probably cost more than it did last year, so they cam wear out some tyres that can barely afford

Diesel free ... part of my job is i use the van for personal use.

Do you really think i can afford that.......

We are lucky holbeach are with NE this year as THEY tried to get their nose in the thundersport paddock ............
Oh well
£136 free postage link i posted helped some out
I wont bother in future............
Old 17-Apr-2009, 00:24
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Here the problem:

IF everyone committed/or was required to buying tyres from supplier X, a control tyre, from a control supplier, said supplier could offer a better deal.

BUT as everyone, has a preffered supplier/sponsor/mate who they want to get tyres from it cant/wont happen.

Holbeach are offering a service just like everyone else, use them if you want, or use your own supplier, it is a free market. You don't see www.cheapandeasytyres.co.uk at the racetrack though.
Old 17-Apr-2009, 08:07
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids

Kevin

Points well made!

Chris
Old 17-Apr-2009, 08:45

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Kevin

Points well made!

Chris

Point well made but with one problem, last year H rated were cheaper than ZR's this year their not. The isn't due to exchange rates or credit crunch it down to supply and demand, simple.

As for the point of Pirelli testing tires, how many 583's do you think their test pilots have slung their leg over. In my humble opinion back to back testing at Anglesey ZR's were more predictable and faster than H's, admit this was only in the dry.

Like Steve and Matt I don't have a problem racing on H's or any other tyre but would like to know come the inevitable mid to late season price hikes some contingency is being planned.