Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Oct-2004, 19:00
Bevel Head

Mood: Feel like a Duke...
Improvements for 996S

Hi guys,

I have a 2001 996S which I would like to make a bit more powerful (given that on tracks a lot of people seem to pass me on straights...).

I have been told that some of the improvements might entail:
- Installing a power commander
- Installing an eprom ehip
- Mounting larger exhausts (54mm?)
- Changing air filters (?)
- Cams (?)

I am quite unexperienced with all this stuff, and wanted your opinion on the most effective modifications (also from a cost prospective) I can make to see a significant performance imporvement.

Regards, Mario
Old 27-Oct-2004, 19:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
I take it that you already have after market cans on the bike ?. after that a ultimap chip and dyno run would be good.
and you haven't mentioned light weight wheels, I would recommend these as they make a massive difference.
other than that all the things you mentioned will give you a little more, but could be pricy

[Edited on 27-10-2004 by keefer]
Old 27-Oct-2004, 19:14
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
All the above will add a little, but if you've not done it yet, swap the front sprocket for a 14T.
No more power but acceleration will improve no end and on a 996, there shouldn't be many passing you in a straight line I'd have thought.
Old 27-Oct-2004, 19:26
GTL

Spend the money at CSS and don't slow down for the corners so much???

Andrew
Old 27-Oct-2004, 20:11
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Nelly beat me to it, as standard it's overgeared, drop the front to a 14 and possibly go up at the rear

And yellow916 has pointed out get yourself on the CSS
Old 28-Oct-2004, 10:50
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Has to be said...save your money on modifications and spend it on track time and lessons. Don't just dive in to what you think is the easier option. And any skills you learn get taken to your new bike with you...mods don't.

I went to Snetterton for the first time a few months back when a guy on another Duke was pulling away from me down the back straight. And he was romping away big time, like he had two engines. By the afternoon I'd learnt the track a bit better and especially the right hander leading on to the back straight. Each time I can across him down there I was now pulling away from him, so much so that he came over for a chat in the afternoon to ask what engine work I'd had done to my bike. Nothing apart from a bit of re-gearing and the exhaust. He looked a bit miffed and I later found out that he had an ex Sean Emmett engine in his. Not trying to make myself sound like a track god becaus I'm not, but it just goes to show that you can have as much power as you want but it doesn't necesarily make you fast.
Old 28-Oct-2004, 11:10
Bevel Head

Mood: Feel like a Duke...
Guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments!!!

At this point I will try to minimise the modifications on my bike, but was just wondering, based on my initial list of options and what you have also recommended, what would be (in your opinion) the top 3 modifications you would make to give the bike an extra kick, balancing performance & cost.
Old 28-Oct-2004, 11:14
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Top 3?

Depends on what you're after performance wise? and what purpose... trackdays etc

Gearing
Wheels
Brembo m/cylinder or slipper I guess
Old 28-Oct-2004, 11:24
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
on any ducati i buy i will always change the gearing, get termi's fitted and get a slipper clutch fitted straight away. all essential imho.

lighter wheels would be my next step but havnt got them yet myself.

as said above by others this all needs to be combined with either CSS or ESS track schools. no point in having all the gear and no idea.
Old 28-Oct-2004, 12:23
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
I'd go wheels first, gearing, slipper, brakes.