Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 02-Jun-2006, 20:44
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Trackday wheels with soft rubber ?

Anyone got a pair of wheels for a 620 for sale ?
I'm thinking of sorting out a set with race rubber on - never having tried soft modern tyres - does this sound like a good idea ?
Old 02-Jun-2006, 20:53
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

If you want to try sticky tyres out I suppose it's one way of experiencing it.

Otherwise it's a waste of time and money on every other level - IMHO.
Old 02-Jun-2006, 21:06
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_h
Anyone got a pair of wheels for a 620 for sale ?
I'm thinking of sorting out a set with race rubber on - never having tried soft modern tyres - does this sound like a good idea ?

I have wheels for sale. Take your pick and make me an offer

See market place.
Old 02-Jun-2006, 21:06
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
If you want to try sticky tyres out I suppose it's one way of experiencing it.

Otherwise it's a waste of time and money on every other level - IMHO.

whysthatthen ?????
Its not like you to hold back
Tell me what you mean in more detail - cos I'm looking for something to either reduce my 'worry factor' or accelerate my experience with these fat tyre things
Old 02-Jun-2006, 21:08
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
I have a 620 Monster rear wheel if you want to borrow it?

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 02-Jun-2006, 21:41
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_h
whysthatthen ?????
Its not like you to hold back
Tell me what you mean in more detail - cos I'm looking for something to either reduce my 'worry factor' or accelerate my experience with these fat tyre things

I don't see any advantage whatsoever from riding on sticky tyres if you're racing on not so sticky tyres.

Besides, Pirelli Diablo's a bloody sticky as it is, and I rarely get anywhere near the limit of the Diablo, so I would think that anyone outside the top 10 certainly can't tell the difference or benefit from a stickier tyre.

Why not spend the money on tracktime and learn how Diablo's react to your riding and get your confidence up on them?

When you start sliding around and smoking the tyres, then maybe have a look at entering BSB.

If I'm racing a 620 Monster on Diablo's - what advantage will I get from riding anything else on a track - assuming you're concentrating on going faster on the DD bike. If you're just doing it for fun - like Rattler on his CBR1000RR - then it doesn't matter.

I just think that you'll only confuse yourself by riding something with no relevance to your race bike.

My 2p
Old 02-Jun-2006, 21:44
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I think I understand what Dom is saying wrt DD but, make no mistake, Supercorsa Pros are pukka race rubber and light years ahead in terms of grip. They're probably worse 2-3 seconds per lap easily.
Old 02-Jun-2006, 21:49
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Yep probably, but will they help Phil go faster or feel more comfortable on Diablo's?

I think Phil could go 10 seconds a lap faster on Diablo's first, and I think that super sticky tyres are a waste of time unless you can get the most from them. That's not saying Phil can't, but I'm damn sure that I couldn't.

I think some people have struggled with Diablo's for exactly that reason - they've been spoilt on super sticky tyres and ultra sharp handling bikes, and when they jump on a tractor with knobblies they struggle.

I think DD bikes are mega, they handle great and stick to the track - but that's because I ride nothing else.
Old 02-Jun-2006, 22:47
Ducati Meccanica

You know, its difficult being an old git trying to make up for lost time
What I definitely *need* it lots more track time on either of the dd bikes.
However, what I also *want* is something to speed up my learning curve - I find it very difficult to push when riding by myself at a trackday - or even in a race when I've passed someone but the next bloke is binocular distance away.
I got passed on the line the other week cos I just lost speed on the last lap and the bloke I passed whos best lap times were a sec slower than mine took me. I hated that.
Now, I've (tried to) followed some of you young whippersnappers a bit now, so I know I should know that the diablos are mega tyres, but but but ...
So the theory is - use some tyres that I *know* are much stickier than I need so I can relax more and spend my $10 on braking less and later, not on thinking about what the tyres will feel like when they start to slide
Does that make sense ?
Old 02-Jun-2006, 23:08
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I totally understand what you're saying, but I don't think sticky tyres is the way to go.

Tracktime/practice is the only real way to improve. For the cost of a set of sticky tyres and a set of wheels, you could maybe do 2 trackdays for that money, and I bet that would make you faster than 1 trackday on some Super Corsas.

Are you at Castle Combe on Wednesday? I can spend a session with you if you are.

Or, pay for me to join you on a trackday and I'll make you faster on your DD bike and Diablo tyres - or pay for TP or someone like that to help you. Sticky tyres don't come with a good rider to kick you up the arse or encourage you.

I bet £100 you go the same speed regardless of tyre. You're capable of going much faster on what you have, if you can't push yourself further on that, then what makes you think you will with a sticky tyre.

Same as buying an 999R - just coz the bike is very fast, doesn't mean the rider will become faster just by buying it.

When you're pushing the limits of a Diablo, then try a 'sticky' tyre.

Seriously dude, I think buying wheels/tyres is a false economy. You know you can do better, I know you can do batter and you know what a 583 or 620 can do - coz we're all doing it. You just need to practice, practice, practice.