Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jan-2005, 13:56
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
I reckon you're spot on there Lily. You're paying for the carbon bodywork and the 'exclusivity'. That's what the top 'R' models are all about.

And how exclusive is the 748RS especially road going ones
Old 26-Jan-2005, 14:00
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Very by the sound of it! Wasn't the RS the supersport race bike?
Old 26-Jan-2005, 14:27
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
yep 35 a year was the figure they were meant to make each year.
The Ex NCR one that James Thompson owns is a real one off.
Old 26-Jan-2005, 14:36
Big Twin

I still reckon you'd struggle to get a good price for a hybrid though, even using an RS as a base. It's not going to be a 'pukka' limited edition road bike so they won't be interested. Their loss though!
Old 26-Jan-2005, 14:42
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
true Twin but remember what skids said it has cost him.
not near as much as the r alone.
Old 26-Jan-2005, 15:44
Big Twin

Oh yeah, I meant if he was going to sell it. As a bike to keep hold of for a while, then it's
Old 26-Jan-2005, 16:15
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I wouldn't give a stuff about exclusivity. IMHO bikes are for riding and the kit that skids has got on his bitza 748RS/998 seems to me would make a better bike than a 996/998R.

For all the bling and carbon and the homologation status of an 'R', they're still miles away from being a pukka race bike.

I'm not knocking R's of any description, they are lovely things that are true objects of desire, and exclusive in that only the true enthusiasts (who spend all their disposable income on bikes - despite not being wealthy) or the well heeled can afford them. If I could afford a 999R then I guess I would have one...wait a minute though, I could have a 999S and a Multistuka for the same wedge.

So flame me if you like, but I think that the whole 'R' thing is more about designer labels and status than it is about riding. Nothing wrong with that, no more than wanting to dress in designer labels, but it makes me sad to see such lovely bikes just stood in someones front room, or in a vacuum bag, or with owners that are so scared of riding them as God intended (in case they get a stone chip on the carbon fairing) that they just pootle about posing.

I don't know the guy personally, but the attitude I love to see is from a guy like Chillo who rags the ass of his R. They have, after all, been built for that singular purpose. For some reason 748/749 R owners seem to be less precious about their bikes too (probably down to the price difference) and can often be seen giving their bikes some proper exercise rather than treating them as precious museum pieces.
Old 26-Jan-2005, 16:37
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
If you factor in the number of hours taken to build a hybrid then the £ saving is obviously there but not everyone has the time, facilities or know how to do it. If the alternative was to use a mechanic then you would be looking at 3K.
Buying a race bike restricts the rider to only being able to track it.
Have a used 6R and the decision was not totally logical but why should it be. There is the bling and exclusivity arguement, the feeling of having one, last 916 series to win the WSB championship,bla, bla.
However compared to the 6S I had the differences are substantial. Gear box is much more slick and precise, power deliver straight and faultless, weight (13kgs) is less and this can be felt. Far better P4 brakes. The 6R cost the same 2 years later as the 6S new, if you are prepared to wait. A new 8S cost 2K more. Feel sorry for those that bought them new though.
Whether it is faster on the track remains to be seen, roll on 2005 season.
Old 26-Jan-2005, 18:27

ok, exclusivity is nice but our common interest manefests itself in different ways, some of us, you might say 'purists', keep their pride and joy in an oversized matchbox stuffed with cotton wool only to bring it out to rub their privates against it.. and thats very nice.. but we are talking about 'R' and what it stands for.. No.. not rubbing! you've got it.. so as far as I'm concerned, if it does the job for what its intended then surely there's not much more to it... 'If it 'walks the walk'
Although saying that, I picked up a lovely carbon Corse key fob the other day.. Stop it!!!
Old 26-Jan-2005, 19:10
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Hmmmmm!!!!!

I just bought a 996R. Why?

Well i don't have Skids ability to build something like he has, and to get someone else to do it would cost a LOT. I take my hat off to him, it sounds great & very rare.

But why the R. I owned so many piles of mundane crap, like BM's Pans even 3 CX 500's for despatching (also used GPZ900, 1100 Katana, GS1000 for work when they were top kit). Then went through the phase of sports tourers for transporting me and Helen all over Europe but always deep down wanted an RC30 or a 916.

After years of dreaming when i finally swopped the junk bike for work/sports tourer for fun i looked at 996's. Sad to say the bling factor of Ohlins forks etc meant that thats where my money went, and every time i walk in the garage i don't regret it. On a less important note, i feel sorry for the depreciation that the first owner's have suffered, but now when the SPS/R's are about 3 years old i reckon they will hold their value a bit better than the standard models.

It won't live in the front room (but i'd like to see it there), it will get used. I don't care if it was the last old model to win the World Supers, completely irrelevant to me, but it does represent almost the pinnacle (998R excepted and poss 998S IMHO) of the best bike EVER made.

I may only crawl round slowly on the odd track day, but i'll have fun. It will get used for what i prefer the most, and thats longer trips, here or abroad. My perfect journey is a bloody good high speed thrash thru Europe, nice hotel, good food, and a few beers, then repeat the next day, and the day after etc.

You sure as hell don't need a 996R for that but i don't give a toss, its what makes me SMILE

Might explain the D bit in BDG.

The transplant topic has deviated a bit.