Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Feb-2005, 23:34

subframe

just converted my 996 bip to single seat & i know where theres a 916 sp? ali subfame are they pricey/hard to come by/& will it fit straight on a 996 bip im thinkin of asking if he wants to do a deal on my standard one
Old 21-Feb-2005, 23:44
Dibble

it will fit but is in my opinion a pointless upgrade .... theres plenty of them about if you look and the bip ones are common as muck so not sure he'd see any value in it .....
Old 21-Feb-2005, 23:59
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
The SP has a different ECU (P8) to the 996Bip (1.6M), no doubt you could find someway of locating the smaller Bip unit, as for the other guy going the opposite way not only does he have to locate the bigger ECU but also the two ignition units that go with it.
Its been done before but isn't as straight forward as some may think
Old 22-Feb-2005, 00:24

subframe

the bike its coming off is being used as a jig so it dont matter which subframe he puts on i imagine i could get it pretty cheap if lucky a straight swap. still not worth it ?
Old 22-Feb-2005, 00:27
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by tony h
the bike its coming off is being used as a jig so it dont matter which subframe he puts on i imagine i could get it pretty cheap if lucky a straight swap. still not worth it ?

that depends on what u hope to achieve .....
Old 22-Feb-2005, 00:52

subframe

a little wieght savin +polish it up + u wont have the rear hanger lugs on display as on a bip subframe. should look a little neater
Old 22-Feb-2005, 12:23
888 at Last !!!

I found this mod an improvement - subjective but maybe i'm more sensitive

You can fit either 916SP P8 or 748R 1.6M ali subframe to the 996. I've done both - first with the 916SP and mounted the 1.6M CPU between the spars and then properly with a 748R subframe.

The fiddly bit is unpicking the wiring loom & lengthening the two fan wires to put the 1.6M CPU at the back of the subframe (rather than in the middle). Not difficult, just fiddly. You'll also need a monoposto undertray. The ali subframe won't fit with the bip undertray.

Any question, let me know. This was the only major difference in weight between the SPS and bip 996's.
Old 22-Feb-2005, 14:53
Mille

Mood: Meditating
Well - that plus the carbon airbox, the fairing parts, guards, wheels and engine parts that the SPS boasts as standard.