Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jun-2006, 10:57

MOT Time - Rear Brake

MOT due and I'm concerned that the only thing that does not appear to work on my 2001 748s is the rear brake.

I know the rear brake serves no real purpose other than acting as a brake light switch but its an
MOT failure point.

I've usually had the bike serviced by now and they always manage to do something to get it through
but time is not on my hands at the moment and I cannot get the service ahead of the MOT date.

The pads are good.
Brake fluid clean, brakes bled, no obvious leaks, or signs of air in the fluid.
The lever is all adjusted up and in the right place (Haynes manual)
Bike has not been used a great deal so far this year so it has stood for a while.

The lever operates (although does seem to have a long travel) the pads contact the disc,
there is enough pressure there to stop the wheel turning whilst on the paddock stand but not enough
to stop or even noticably slow the bike whilst riding.

Anyone any suggestions on what I can do to get enough rear brake pressure to get through the MOT ?

Chris
Old 01-Jun-2006, 19:04
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Are you sure that it is bled correctly?

You have to take the rear caliper off and rotate around to the 12 o clock position to help in the bleeding process.

Could be the master cylinder seals packing up? Whats the condition of the rear brake set up in general?

I uprated my rear brake by modifying the mounting bracket as the standard one flexes way too much for my liking when depressing the rear brake pedal.

This transformed my rear brake. It was ok before but its superb now. I posted this up a while ago.

DC.
Old 01-Jun-2006, 19:16
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-748s

I know the rear brake serves no real purpose other than acting as a brake light switch but its an
MOT failure point.

really? i use the rear all the time - not when riding quickly but when low speed manouvreing, tightening the line round mini roundabouts, hovering at traffic lights etc. i hated it when my other bike didn't have a rear brake for a couple of months
Old 01-Jun-2006, 19:22
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhed44
really? i use the rear all the time - not when riding quickly but when low speed manouvreing, tightening the line round mini roundabouts, hovering at traffic lights etc. i hated it when my other bike didn't have a rear brake for a couple of months

Oh no, here we go again.

I posted up about the mod to the rear brake and how it sorted mine and it turned into a poll about the rights and wrongs of using ya rear brake!!

I keep my mods to my self now and just enjoy em. LOL.

DC.
Old 01-Jun-2006, 19:41
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Oh no, here we go again.

I posted up about the mod to the rear brake and how it sorted mine and it turned into a poll about the rights and wrongs of using ya rear brake!!

I keep my mods to my self now and just enjoy em. LOL.

DC.

ha ha ha. you should try visordown. a debate over whether or not you use your rear brake/headlights during the day etc etc usually provokes about 15 pages of posts and often results in death threats