Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Jul-2006, 11:33
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
I've actually just done a breakdown now of the costs into various areas:

Bike & Parts = £2,271

Track Days & Race Fees = £488

Memberships = £129

Clothing & Accessories = £551

Sundries (Fuel, Garage rent etc) = £275

Total = £3714

I'd forgotten to add in the New Era Entry Fee for Oulton, so this is the new total figure.

As you can see, I haven't spent all that much on the bike itself, but everything else does add up and I feel this figure actually represents the true cost of racing to date.
Old 12-Jul-2006, 11:44
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I think your budget is fine mate, people like to forget stuff "here and there" to make them think racing is cheaper than it is. Racing is bl00dy expensive, as all motorsports are. That's a fact. I've stopped counting what it costed me, made me feel too sick. And my bike is basic, most expensive parts are the Ohlins and radial master cylinder which costed me £350 together...

I'm not taking part in the next round, Donington. It will make me save about £400 (race entry + trackday + petrol costs). How cheap is that?
Old 12-Jul-2006, 11:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio600
I think your budget is fine mate, people like to forget stuff "here and there" to make them think racing is cheaper than it is. Racing is bl00dy expensive, as all motorsports are. That's a fact. I've stopped counting what it costed me, made me feel too sick. And my bike is basic, most expensive parts are the Ohlins and radial master cylinder which costed me £350 together...

I'm not taking part in the next round, Donington. It will make me save about £400 (race entry + trackday + petrol costs). How cheap is that?

The only motogp track in this country and you're not doing it !!!!!!!!

You HAVE to do it
Old 12-Jul-2006, 11:55
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommando
The only motogp track in this country and you're not doing it !!!!!!!!

You HAVE to do it

Last time (only time) I did it, it was for last year's DD round. it was raining and I crashed. Since that, each time I watched some racing at Donington (MotoGP, BSB,...) it was raining and a lot of racers crashed.

I hate that track.
Old 12-Jul-2006, 11:55
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
Tonio....Noooo! Do Donington, you HAVE to! I'm probably dropping Snett for fear of making the bike pop before the last round, but there's no way I'd sit Donny out...it's the best track we go to!
Old 12-Jul-2006, 11:59
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grib
it's the best track we go to!

Nope,it's Assen.

Btw sorry to hijack your thread Phill... To come back to it, I do think your figures are right and you didn't do much wrong
Old 12-Jul-2006, 12:52
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
It pays to keep careful track of your racing costs and budget realistically. Never be fooled by the real cost of racing. I've just added up the cost of putting together my 800ss race bike so far. Including the purchase price of the bike, so far it has cost £8500.35 and it's not even finished yet.

I reckon I still have another £2000 or so to fully finish it in preparation to the level I want for next season proper although technically I can race it now.

This year alone I expect to pay £1000 in entries, approx' £1000 in tyres plus all the other incidentals like food, race fuel, accomodation costs for the three meetings that I am using for setup so, I am looking at an end of season bill for around £12500! Oh lordy!

Next year I intend to do about 10 MRO meetings so....

Entry fees: ~£1800
Race fuel: ~£500
Diesel: ~£600
Tyres: ~£2500
Oil: ~£200
2 x service: ~£1000
2 sets of pads: ~£140
1 chain : ~£100
Sprockets: ~£100
Practice: ~£1200
Misc maint': ~£250
Van insurance: ~£300
Van tax: ~£150
Van servicing: ~£250
Van tyres: ~£200
Boots: ~£150
Gloves: ~£150
Helmet: ~£300

total ~ £10,000

So, I'm looking at a total cost of about £22k by the end of next year which, is broadly similar to what two years on the SV650 in Minitwins cost me.

This excludes crash repairs, more dyno testing or any other unforeseens. Most people seriously underestimate how much it costs and how much they spend. I'm by no means extravagant and some lads I know put fresh tyres on every race day which means £500 or so per weekend in tyres alone. I tend to make mine stretch from practice, through qualifying and then racing although, by race 2 on a Sunday they are past their best.

Mind you - what a rush.
Old 12-Jul-2006, 13:27
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
when we were in castle coombe i was talking to a young lad and his day at were in 125 acu star and theyhas a buget of £21000 they got £12000 in sponsership but still a lot just to race a 125
Old 12-Jul-2006, 13:29
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
have you won the lotterly i wish i had that much to race with
Old 12-Jul-2006, 14:19
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
cost to race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillc
For me, £3584.50 so far.

I'm sure it could have been done cheaper than that, but I've tried to be pretty honest about my expenditure and included every thing that was bought for "racing."

An excel spreadsheet detailing my costs and some more insight as to what the money was spent on and how the bike was set up can be found here - http://kapitalmoto.co.uk/node/101

Given my initial results you may not wish to follow my set up preparation proceedure to the letter! Then again, I'm sure that the bike is fine and that the rider needs further enhancements.

It depends on how good you want the bike to be, it needs to be above all things safe & reliable & kept that way all sesson, imho I don't think you could do 620 classA competivley for less than £3-£4k