Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:11
Ducati Meccanica

PM = Public Message !
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:11
500SD

I have stayed out of all arguments and discussions so far but have to comment on this.

They are called 'private messages'. They should be the private concern of sender and recipient unless one or other shares the contents with another party. IMO moderators should not be looking in 'private messages'.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:14
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
They are called 'private messages'. They should be the private concern of sender and recipient unless one or other shares the contents with another party. IMO moderators should not be looking in 'private messages'.

Completely agree. I wasn't aware of this either until Dom pointed it out to me a couple of weeks ago.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:24
500SD

Depends what's in them...

i had an exceptionally violent, abusive and hurtful PM from [a member] last week, i was insulted, verbally abused and ridiculed....

the MT were aware of this by the time i reported it to them.... i don't see this as a bad thing.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:26
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
If you were really bothered, you could and would have forwarded it to one of the moderators, they don't need to police 'private' conversations if the users don't want them looked at IMO.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:29
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
I can't beleive this is happening, I believe thatto look at pm's requires a specific query of the database as I am not aware of any setting or option in the vbulletin admin control panel /software which allows this. No mention is made in the FAQ section that messages are not private!!
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:35
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I can't beleive this is happening, I believe thatto look at pm's requires a specific query of the database as I am not aware of any setting or option in the vbulletin admin control panel /software which allows this. No mention is made in the FAQ section that messages are not private!!

gizmo, your bloody mobile phone aint private anymore !

Big brother,

mav
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:38
Ducati Meccanica

Misrepresentation ?

It clearly states private messages in the box in the right hand corner of my screen - and they are not ?

Tsk Tsk
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Angry

I think it is absolutely appalling that PMs are not private. There is NO justification for that abuse of privacy. If they're not private, then take the facility off the board. It's a complete misnoma and an absolute outrage for the MT to think they are entitled to look at them under the guise of 'moderation'. It does, however, explain an e-mail I had from Ian last week.

The MT is given it's powers by the members. This is an outright abuse of that power, in my opinion, and an insult to everyone who uses the board.

If an abusive PM is received by any club member, then fair enough, report it to the MT and ask them to look into it, but carte blanche to look at every member's PMs on that pretext??? This, as so many people have said already, is Big Brother stuff and pretty much the last straw for me as far as this board is concerned.

Last edited by Redruth : 16-Oct-2006 at 13:46.
Old 16-Oct-2006, 13:41
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grib
If you were really bothered, you could and would have forwarded it to one of the moderators, they don't need to police 'private' conversations if the users don't want them looked at IMO.

i Did Luce... within about 3 seconds of reading it myself