Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Aug-2006, 23:29
Mille

Track Bike advice needed ! ! !

Thanks in advance.

I have decided that I want to convert my 748 in to a track bike. Currently have only 5 track days under my belt and am hoping to complete CBS in Jan with a view to doing several days next year.

Currently I have a 2000 748 BP pretty much standard apart from a bit of carbon, termis & paint.

I plan on the following as initial mods to prepare it for the track.

Replace 3 spokes with lightweight marchesini wheels
Braided Hoses
New Pads
Remove all lights
Remove Ignition
Performance Air Filter
Power Commander
Slipper Clutch

Is there anything you guys wiht experience would suggest as my initial mods.
Aa a heavy standard bike are there certain things that are good weight saving mods like :

Headlight Assembly Removal
Ignition Removal
Lightweight Cowl Support
Lightweight Rear Subframe

Thanks for any help!

Chris.
Old 18-Aug-2006, 23:46
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
The list is endless....

but the best mods..

You can get a second hand loom from ebay and cut out all the stuf you dont need (2kgs on my bike)

alloy subframe (you'll need a longer rear loom to fit the ECU)

fibreglass bodywork saves loads.

alloy clocks / fairing bracket

Get an alloy spacer for the front wheel. then remove the speedo drive, cable and speedo.

Lightweight flywheel - top performance gains and saves over a kilo of weight (been done to death on here so search for it for lots of info)

Keep and eye on how much fuel you run. empty the tank and measure it in, then you can use a dip stick to keep track. you need to finish each session with just 2 litres. if you finish with 5-6 like most do then think of the weight saving!!

After that, it starts getting expensive to shed that weight.

good luck dude.

748RS race bike (well, 853 but who\'s counting!)
999S road bike,

www.motorapido.co.uk
Old 18-Aug-2006, 23:51
Big Twin

well remember its a track bike and your not going racing, so for me id not worry about saving a few grams here and there, on a lightweight subframe or nose cone mounting brackets.
id suggest an undertank filter such as the itg unit that covers the air intakes in event of a spilll in the gravel that dislodges the tank.
slipper clutch is a big benefit on the track.

take any decent original panels off and replace them with track day kit.

assuming youve chipped it for your termis, id suggest if you need more power to go faster you probably be as well off getting another engine.

mag wheels help a bit!

i cant really see the point of removing the ignition unless you mean the just the switch. and then youl probaly go for a race fuel cap to go keyless.

yes remove lights indicators mirrors switchgear etc even the speedo really.

id say best mod next to go for would be some p4 calipers and a brembo master cyl
Old 18-Aug-2006, 23:57
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Fit decent rubber, put a race fairing on it and take off non-essentials. Forget everything else and learn your craft. There's far too much bull**** spoken about racing and trackdays.

The only performance mod you need is your right hand and your head...the rest is ever-decreasing circles and bling.
Old 19-Aug-2006, 00:11

ive got a full set of ducati performance avro fibre fairings here need some work but you can have them for cheap if your interested, i was going to use them on my road bike
Old 19-Aug-2006, 07:20
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
I did a similar excercise last year.

I think shedding the weight is part of the fun myself..!

Think evryone covered all the bits...only other thing i'd add is a brembo radial brake master cylinder which gives loads of feel and lets be honest you'll want pukka brakes on the track !!

Cheers
Nat
Old 19-Aug-2006, 08:44
Mille

Thanks for the fats responses guys.

My major concern is power really. On the days I have done I have always walked away moaning about the lack of horses the 748 bp has.

I am in two minds what to do! I would ideally love to stay a Ducati enthusiast. However my thoughts are do i :

A - Get a Big Bore kit (853 or so), wheels, race panels, brakes & re-worked shocks

or

B - Spend the £3k this is all going to cost and buy myself a ready done track bike off ebay in R6 or CBR600 stylie?

I have seen some good ones out there that come ready to go wiht loads of spares.

My concern is it's big money to get power and weight gains from the Duc!

I still love her though!
Old 19-Aug-2006, 12:46
Big Twin

you dont need more power to compare with a 3k r6 or cbr, you just have to ride to the strengths of your duke.

big money for power gains on the duke well yes i guess so, a 748bp is not the ideal starting point if you want power rather than tune it change it for a bigger engine, probably cheaper in terms of power gains BUT as twpd said its ever decreasing circles, you just gotta set your budget and be content.
Old 19-Aug-2006, 13:04
Montjuic

Mood: Saving
[quote=twpd.Forget everything else and learn your craft. There's far too much bull**** spoken about racing and trackdays.
[/QUOTE]

True words indeed.
Old 19-Aug-2006, 16:09
Mille

On the basis I am going to be stripping the bike down to a frame what can I leave out when i rebuild it?

Is it fairly easy to strip a loom back to remove alarm, lights etc.

Does a track bike still need kill switch etc?