Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jun-2006, 10:21
Ducati Corse

I had 207RRs on the MV and they were a sod when cold, sliding front and spinning rear, great when hot though. Is there an urban myth around these tyres?

BTW - both Stu and I have front slides on Bridgestone 014s when cold so perhaps it's just a factor of this type of fast road/trackday tyres.
Old 30-Jun-2006, 10:36
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I hate Dunlops, they seem to take forever to get any heat into them. I had an off on 207RR's after 4 laps as well, one moment I was cranked over into a corner with loads of grip, the next the front just let go and I was down. Had only just started to up the pace and wasn't in full attck mode but there were no slides, no warnings, nothing slippery on my line and I was on the gas at the time so I shouldn't have been loading the front too much. One of those times where you just can't work out why you're on yo a55. Follows a similar lowside on Dunlops a year or so previously.

I've got 207RR's on the 888 at the moment, cos that's what it came with. Can't wait to wear them out and get some Diablos which seem to defy all but the most rash attempts to unsettle them and only slide predictably when they do let go.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 30-Jun-2006, 11:21
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
Unhappy Dunlops

Thanks for the replys lads. Some good points will definately have a good look at the rear shock, and have the suspension checked by one of the pros that attend the events! Mick Grant was there at the previous day!

WIll also invest in some tyre warmers, but like Jools said its left me wondering why im skating down the track on my arse, both times and especially this time the tyres were definately up to temp id done about 4 steady laps just picking the bike up out of the right hander spins up and bang down she goes! Ive lost all confidence in this tyre will try some supercorsas next time out. This was after about 4 sessions were the bike felt so good and planted, ill post some pics of the damage to see if i get some sympathy!!!
Old 30-Jun-2006, 11:38
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Hi,
I'm on my second set of used 208gp's and cant fault them on my R1. You do have to have good suspension setup and I recently started using warmers. I've been out in a wintery March at Silverstone and very hot August Summer on them and found them to be totally reliable and progressively slide when pushed. Also check your pressure as I found small changes made a difference.
Andy
Old 30-Jun-2006, 11:49
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
Angry A few pics before and after

A ****ty end to the day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20 06 06 (3).JPG (73.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20 06 06 (11).JPG (85.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20 06 06 (14).JPG (76.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0098.JPG (95.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 30-Jun-2006, 18:55
DaveB916

Super Corsa's, fantastic tyres but again need warming and absolutely useless in the wet.

Mine were sliding like a good pair of ski's coming back from Germany in the rain last week, seriously like riding on ice, but, fantastic when warmed up on a track.

Good luck plse let me know what you think to the Super's.
Old 30-Jun-2006, 19:06
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
you cant even begin to compare 207rr with a 208gp...........which in itself is noticably inferior to the 209gp.....

So get suspension set up

try 209gps

.....and practice a bit more about where and when you open the throttle! (little bit tongue i cheek, but relevent to us all!)
Old 30-Jun-2006, 20:09
Ducati Corse

The point Mr B was that type of tyre needs to be hot to grip :P
Old 30-Jun-2006, 20:25
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
The point Mr H is, if you know its not hot, dont ask it to do something it cant do even at the best of times.......... ie two things steer and brake, or turn and power!

It doesnt fall over on its own!
Old 30-Jun-2006, 21:44
Ducati Corse

Andy ...

... how can you be sure it's up to temperature squire? Do you have a themo-couple plugged into your ar$e? The answer is you don't know, so you guess, and if you get it wrong as many have on here you're on the ground.

The point remains, if you're using track biased tyres get tyre warmers. Having correct suspension settings helps but the in the end unless you have them good and hot you're gambling with gravity.

I rest my case your honour