Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Oct-2005, 17:06
Big Twin

Section 8 suspension setting for 749R

I have been corresponding with Jason from Section 8 superbikes regarding setting up the suspension on my 749R and he has suggested his tried and tested set up that he details below that he says makes a huge difference.

To be honest I think it is too much for me to try, all I really want is some base settings for my preload, compression, rebound, sag etc.

If someone wants to be brave and try this out and finds a marked improvement they can keep everyone informed.

I was not aware of the adjustable triple clamps, anyone ??

FRONT

set the steering angle at 23.5 deg with the big steering head eccentric.

Take the clamps off and you will find you have an adjustable set of offset triple clamps. (the 749R is the only bike with these) This will take you from the stock 36mm to a better turning in and more feel 27mm setting. The steering tube is two peice. All you need to do is rotate the outer tube 180 deg and it will be at 27mm. Once you see it it will not look so hard.

Set the forks in the upper triple clamp with just the fork caps poking out (basically flush). Do not set them any further up, you wikll risk touching the radiator with the front tire under braking.

start with 10-15mm of preload on the front springs (10-15 turns form backed oout) then set the sag at 38mm .
10 clicks out on the compression side
5-6 clicks out on the rebound side

REAR

set the ride height rod at 240mm eye to eye.
30mm ofr sag in the rear.
set the swingarm pivot to axle eye to eye length then as close to 495mm as you can get it with your gearing combo.

This will make a massive difference!
Old 14-Oct-2005, 18:02
888 at Last !!!

Thanks, i might try that one of theese days.

Now, what is that about that 749R feature? Can you explain it better?

And one more thing, did Jason adviced that as a track setting or as a street usable setting?
Old 15-Oct-2005, 00:24
Big Twin

Jason did not say what this setting would be more suited for but my guess is it would lean towards track use more.

He cleared up one point that I was confused about, everyone was going on about setting the rear ride height bar to 285mm. I checked mine and it was only 235mm so I tried for ages and the maximum length I could get was about 260mm and that was with the threads right out, so I asked why this was and below is his reply,

The reason the site says 285mm and I told you to use 240mm is that the 749R has a different linkage system for the rear than the others and uses a different ride height adjuster. So just set your bike up to stage two, just like on my site, but make the tie rod number 245mm eye to eye. If you use the setup that adjusts the triple clamp the rear rod will be backed down to 240mm.

So reading this no one with a 749R can have their bar set at 285mm ???
Old 15-Oct-2005, 09:06
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
interesting stuff, i didn't know the 749R had a diferent rocker to 999R or adjustable offset, did they explain what difference the rocker makes - more progressive or more linear?? In theory it would alter the damping needed compared to the other models as well. I'll be in M and S Newcastle today, will check out the 749R they have, think its an 05 model if its still there.
Old 15-Oct-2005, 09:51
Big Twin

No its not, Ian the owner of M &S is turnng it into a track bike I think.
Old 15-Oct-2005, 11:44
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
You really need to use a datum tool to set the rear ride height for comparison. Just lengthening the tie rod is not comparible as the later swing arms do indeed have a different rocker.
Old 15-Oct-2005, 18:50
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
it looks like a longer eye to eye shock as well. there's way more thread above the spring than a 999 or 749.
Old 15-Oct-2005, 19:52
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I wouldnt get too wrapped up in the specifics of what different places say, i certainly wouldnt ever consider the steeper steering head angle for the road.

You need to find whats best for YOU, taking in to account some of the ball park areas that obviously need altering with the 749/999!
Old 28-Oct-2005, 20:43
888 at Last !!!

Iang, do you have anything on your manual about that offset triple clamps in the 749R?
Old 28-Oct-2005, 20:56
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
i had mine setup by jhp, works great